- United States
- Date Posted
- Nov. 23, 2021
On the off chance you’ve thought about insurance, it’s likely because you’ve insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer-centric design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. Our team is growing quickly across the country. We have offices in SF, Tempe and Boston and welcome remote workers across the country. Our customer experience, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Thanks to what makes us different -- our people and our technology -- we’ve been honored with a slew of awards. A few recent ones include: named a Benzinga “Best Insurtech” finalist, a Top Company to Work For, one of the Healthiest Employers in Phoenix, and a Best Place to Work. And, our CEO was recognized as a 2020 40 under 40.
About the Senior Accountant role
This can be a 100% remote position
Metromile is seeking a versatile Senior Accountant to join its exceptional finance team. The Senior Accountant will report to the Senior Manager, Controls and Process Improvement and will work closely with other team members around the company. To be successful in this role, you must have strong knowledge of GAAP, accounting processes, controls, and systems.
You must also have the ability to interact with all levels of management and cross-functional teams, as well as be able to operate effectively in a rapidly scaling, dynamic environment. We are looking for someone who is organized, self-motivated, has excellent problem solving skills, and enjoys working with people in a challenging and fast-paced environment.
- Prepare journal entries and account reconciliations to ensure the integrity of account balances; research and propose resolutions for identified issues or discrepancies
- Lead accounting for capitalized internally developed software
- Calculate monthly revenue recognition for Enterprise company including invoicing customers and working with external consultants to ensure proper accounting of new contracts
- Coordinate accounting projects and initiatives with Metromile team members
- Identify operational inefficiencies and areas for improvement, formulate and take action on recommendations in order to scale effectively
- Maintain accounting compliance by understanding current and proposed US GAAP regulations and recommend new procedures especially those related to Insurance industry standards
- Work with external consultants and accounting firms on financial audits
- Cross-train and support other team members as necessary
- Public accounting, CPA, or relevant industry experience preferred
- 4+ years in an accounting role preferred
- Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively with the ability to effectively interact with and influence various functional groups throughout the company
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills across levels
- Accountable and takes ownership of solving problems and delivering high-quality timely output on assignments
- Ability to adapt to change, manage multiple projects, and work in a fast-paced and high volume environment with an emphasis on timeliness and precision
- Strong knowledge of and experience working with US GAAP, journal entries, reconciliations, and financial reporting
- Detail-oriented with a high degree of accuracy; have analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Strong technology-based acumen including advanced Excel skills
- Experience with ASC 606 revenue recognition a plus
- Experience in Intacct software preferred
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary
- Restricted stock units for all employees
- Excellent benefits package (health, dental, vision, 401K with match)
- Well-being reimbursement, includes home office equipment
- Flexible paid vacation program
- Flexible scheduling/hours
- Remote work options
- 13 paid holidays - 2 of which are flex
- 12 paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
- Annual anniversary gifts (5 yr. - 6 week paid sabbatical)
If you got to this point, we hope you’re feeling excited about the role. Even if you don’t feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We’re eager to meet people that believe in Metromile’s mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
Metromile is committed to building a diverse, inclusive and equitable culture at all levels. We nurture a sense of community by investing in one another’s unique backgrounds and experiences to drive business success and positively influence our services and products.
Metromile is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or expression (including against any individual that is transitioning, has transitioned, or is perceived to be transitioning), marital status or civil partnership/union status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth, genetic information, military, and veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law.
Metromile is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Metromile will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Stephen Lavergne, Director of Recruiting, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are offered a position with Metromile, Inc. you will be required to successfully complete a background check. Metromile reserves the right to seek clarification of any alerts regarding your background check in order to confirm eligibility for employment.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.