- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Sep. 27, 2021
- Product Engineering
On the off chance you’ve thought about insurance, it’s likely because you’ve insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer-centric design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Thanks to what makes us different -- our people and our technology -- we’ve been honored with a slew of awards. A few recent ones include: named a Benzinga “Best Insurtech” finalist, a Top Company to Work For, one of the Healthiest Employers in Phoenix, and a Best Place to Work. And, our CEO was recognized as a 2020 40 under 40.
About the role
We’re looking for an experienced Insurance Product Manager to join our growing team! In this role, you will be innovating our insurance product, building processes from scratch, and helping to evolve our insurance product. We want someone who has the ability to think holistically about the Metromile insurance product--and wants to invent smarter ways to manage risk.
The ideal candidate is someone who enjoys a challenge, and thrives in a small, fast-paced environment. Strong problem solving is a must, as well as ability to work under deadlines. You are not afraid of changes or getting your hands dirty. And most importantly, you want to take your career to the next level. This position reports to the Senior Director of Insurance Product Management.
- Have profit and loss responsibility for your scope of responsibility (for example, California Auto)
- Develop a comprehensive strategy that positions Metromile’s insurance products to meet clients’ needs, build company revenues, and outperform competitors.
- Partner across various functional groups to ensure we achieve our company objectives.
- Identify market solutions, and support new product initiatives for teams across Metromile.
- Lead the implementation of strategic insurance product plans and track the performance.
- Participate in the establishment of department goals and for implementing procedures and performance standards to achieve these goals.
- Recognize opportunities to apply solutions in products to enhance company wide performance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Finance, Math/Actuarial Science or related field of study (e. g., Statistics)
- Minimum of 5 years related experience with proven leadership experience
- Ability to analyze, develop and manage strategies to penetrate competitor markets
- Excellent presentation and communication skills (oral and written) with strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations
- Strong influencing, persuasion skills used to gain support and commitment from others
- Ability to apply critical thinking skills to identify key levers and priorities.
Nice to Haves:
- MBA or Master’s degree
- Five years of product management experience within the property and casualty insurance industry to include two or more years in a supervisory or lead role. Having less than 5 years of product management experience within the property and casualty insurance industry may result in candidates being considered for another role.
- Demonstrated comprehensive knowledge of personal lines of insurance, products and features, competition and competitive market conditions.
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary
- Equity awards available
- Excellent benefits package (health, dental, vision, 401K with match)
- Well-being reimbursement, includes home office equipment
- Flexible paid vacation program
- Flexible scheduling/hours
- Remote work options
- 13 paid holidays - 2 of which are flex
- 12 paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
- Annual anniversary gifts (5 yr. - 6 week paid sabbatical)
If you got to this point, we hope you’re feeling excited about the role. Even if you don’t feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We’re eager to meet people that believe in Metromile’s mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
Metromile is committed to building a diverse, inclusive and equitable culture at all levels. We nurture a sense of community by investing in one another’s unique backgrounds and experiences to drive business success and positively influence our services and products.
Metromile is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or expression (including against any individual that is transitioning, has transitioned, or is perceived to be transitioning), marital status or civil partnership/union status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth, genetic information, military, and veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.