- Date Posted
- Nov. 9, 2021
- Software Engineering
On the off chance you’ve thought about insurance, it’s likely because you’ve insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer-centric design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. Our team is growing quickly across the country. We have offices in SF, Tempe and Boston and welcome remote workers across the country. Our customer experience, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Thanks to what makes us different -- our people and our technology -- we’ve been honored with a slew of awards. A few recent ones include: named a Benzinga “Best Insurtech” finalist, a Top Company to Work For, one of the Healthiest Employers in Phoenix, and a Best Place to Work. And, our CEO was recognized as a 2020 40 under 40.
About the role
As a member of the Growth team, you will be engaged in critical work which expands our acquisition efforts. This includes enhancing our microservices that enable our main web and mobile Quote and Enroll experiences, as well as supporting key marketing initiatives. The role allows for robust professional growth, providing ample opportunities for expanding the candidate’s autonomy, ownership, and leadership skills.
- Work as a part of a small cross-functional team on high-impact projects across the company
- Collaborate closely with product and design teams to understand the needs of our users and develop solutions that serve those needs
- Build robust web applications using modern libraries and tooling
- Facilitate quality by writing unit tests and participating in code reviews
- Help architect a modular and easily maintainable application infrastructure using sensible and appropriate technologies
- 4+ years of hands-on development experience working on top of funnel, consumer-facing products
- Experience working with Java 8 and Java 11
- Knowledge of relational (MySQL/Postgres) and non-relational databases
- Experience with GraphQL
- Experience with Spring or other modern Java frameworks
- Experience with AWS and services built on top of it
- A solid understanding of performance and efficiency concepts
Nice to Haves
- Experience with Angular, React, Vue or other modern component-based frameworks
- Experience with React Native
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through production launch
- A strong customer orientation
- A strong collaborative mindset
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary
- Restricted stock units for all employees
- Excellent benefits package (health, dental, vision, 401K with match)
- Well-being reimbursement, includes home office equipment
- Flexible paid vacation program
- Flexible scheduling/hours
- Remote work options
- 13 paid holidays - 2 of which are flex
- 12 paid weeks of leave for childbirth/adoption
- Annual anniversary gifts (ex. 5 yr. - 6-week paid sabbatical)