- United States
- Date Posted
- Jun. 29, 2021
- Software Engineering
On the off chance you’ve thought about insurance, it’s likely because you’ve insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer-centric design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Thanks to what makes us different -- our people and our technology -- we’ve been honored with a slew of awards. A few recent ones include: named a Benzinga “Best Insurtech” finalist, a Top Company to Work For, one of the Healthiest Employers in Phoenix, and a Best Place to Work. And, our CEO was recognized as a 2020 40 under 40.
About The Role
Applying for car insurance involves answering a lot of confusing questions. Metromile’s Software Engineering team is working to implement a shorter, cleaner, more user-friendly workflow. If you’re a seasoned engineer who understands business, enjoys engineering and is looking to quickly ship new projects, we want to talk to you. We aim to hire engineers with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on challenges and make an impact!
Every day we solve incredibly hard problems to create surprising and delightful experiences for our users. We’re responsible for guiding multidisciplinary teams toward a common goal: shipping high quality products and features on time.
As part of the telematics team, we are responsible for innovating and bringing new sensors and sources of data to reinvent modern insurance. Our platform processes IoT data at scale to extract insights in real time to power the most innovative insurance product in the world.
- Work as a part of a cross-functional team on high-impact projects
- Research, design, test, and evaluate technologies for building reactive, event-driven systems
- Implement POCs and pair with technical leads on implementations
- Be ready to mentor fellow co-workers on best practices
- Write high-quality code, that is supported by an appropriate level of testing and metrics
- Be intellectually curious to adapt to changing technologies, platforms, and environments
- Design, create and own a high quality, scalable and heavily tested telematics platform to support our insurance business
- Provide technical mentorship to engineers across our organization
- 10+ years hands-on experience developing highly scalable microservices in containers
- Deep knowledge on relational and no-sql databases
- Deep knowledge of Python, Go, Scala or Java
- Working experience with Kafka, data pipelines and data ingestion services
- Experience using docker, kubernetes
- Experience with public cloud (AWS/GCP/Azure)
- Experience working with streaming data and large data sets
- Experience with taking products from conception to launch through the entire life-cycle of software design, implementation, testing and operations
- Experience working with workflow orchestration services like Airflow/Argo
- Experience setting up CI/CD pipelines for ingestion and related services
- Experience working with mobile telematics
- Experience working with Spark
- Automotive experience
- Working knowledge of GCP services
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary
- Stock options for every employee
- Excellent benefits package (health, dental, vision, 401K- with employer match)
- Well-being reimbursement, includes home office equipment
- Flexible paid vacation program
- Flexible scheduling/hours
- Remote work options
- 13 paid holidays - 2 of which are flex
- 12 paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
- Annual anniversary gifts (5 yr. - 6 week paid sabbatical)
If you got to this point, we hope you’re feeling excited about the role. Even if you don’t feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We’re eager to meet people that believe in Metromile’s mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
Metromile is committed to building a diverse, inclusive and equitable culture at all levels. We nurture a sense of community by investing in one another’s unique backgrounds and experiences to drive business success and positively influence our services and products.
Metromile is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or expression (including against any individual that is transitioning, has transitioned, or is perceived to be transitioning), marital status or civil partnership/union status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth, genetic information, military, and veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.