- Lincoln, RI
- Date Posted
- Nov. 24, 2021
MOO set out to shake up the world of print back in 2006. And we’ve come a long way since. Today we’re a 300 + strong team (we’re thinking of getting matching jackets) who create print and digital products for companies of all sizes – from Google and AirBnB to the guy who makes those amazing prints you found at a craft fair.
Our global HQ is in London, UK, while we also have premises in Dagenham. In the US, you’ll find us in Boston, MA, as well as Lincoln, RI and Denver, CO.
We’re making new and exciting things – and we could really do with your help.
MOO is seeking an experienced Director of Manufacturing Engineering & Quality to join our team. This person will build strong working partnerships across the organization to deliver results in the areas of product and supplier quality, reliability & test, sustaining engineering, design for manufacturability, assembly and cost (DFx), documentation and process control. The Director of Manufacturing & Quality will report to the VP of Operations and will play a critical strategic role in the development and execution of strategies to achieve MOO’s quality and volume manufacturability goals. This individual will oversee the day-to-day activities of the manufacturing engineering and quality team, ensuring that key performance indicators are achieved while maintaining MOO’s high product build standards.
You will lead with a strong quality improvement mindset, taking preventative actions by utilizing customer feedback along with internal & external data insights. This role will drive continuous improvement action plans and influence product design and product quality priorities. You will engage extensively with stakeholders both external (customers, fulfillment partners and material suppliers) and internal (SW Engineering, Category Management, Operations, Product Design and Sales). This position also has responsibility for KPI updates to our internal business leadership and requires a highly organized, motivated and data driven leader, with strong technical skills and a customer focused mindset.
The Person We Want
- BS degree required, Masters or advanced degree a plus
- 10 + years of professional experience in Quality, Operations, and Manufacturing Engineering. BS degree in engineering strongly preferred
- Proven leadership skills building high performance teams and creating efficient systems. A track record of developing people and processes while providing both strategic and tactical leadership
- Proven ability to achieve results in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Strong hands-on problem solving and leadership experience in manufacturing engineering and product quality, including DFx, reliability, process quality, supplier quality, test design, test planning, root cause/failure analysis
- Strong knowledge of materials, product design, fabrication, assembly, test, tooling, and automation
- Proven background defining software applications and tools used in manufacturing to drive efficiency, predictability and repeatability. Capable of defining and implementing applications with process engineering principles to build a high quality manufacturing operation
- Build and lead a high performance team that achieves business goals and objectives with respect to product quality, reliability, cost and availability. Develop core competencies and close gaps in capabilities through system design, standardizing work, hiring and personnel development. Following lean principles, you will proactively identify, design and implement continuous improvement initiatives
- Develop and implement a quality strategy that integrates customer needs, engineering and manufacturing and supply chain
- Be responsible for the direct supervision and growth of Manufacturing Engineering, Reliability, Test and Regulatory Compliance teams. Provide technical leadership and mentoring for team members and cross functional partners
- Be responsible for Quality Management and building a culture where quality is everyones job. Own Quality systems and processes including QMS, Change Management / PLM, CAPA, Data Integrity, Supplier Quality Management, Compliance/Auditing, APQP and continuous deployment
- Be responsible for manufacturing quality functions including adherence to product and manufacturing specifications, site safety, organization and layout, as well as maintaining color quality standards. Provide leadership and direction in print manufacturing quality
- Work with Operations to identify and address gaps related to all aspects of product quality, including opportunities for ongoing innovation and improvements as well as optimization of
The successful individual in this role will possess emotional intelligence, self-awareness & confidence, self-management, the ability to communicate ideas and direction at all levels - including Executive level, and be self-motivated. As the senior engineering leader within Manufacturing, the successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to create a culture focused on:
- Empathy when working with those who will be impacted by your team’s work
- In addition to being skilled at problem-solving, the ability to think outside the box and approach old challenges in new ways
- Possession of a keen sense of curiosity; a skill essential for an innovative leader
- Flexibility in managing teams through unexpected crises, changing deadlines and periods of ambiguity
- Effective communication; demonstrate active listening to build motivation and empowerment within the team
- Knowledge of build-on-demand will be helpful in this role. Experience working with third party engineering teams as well as OEM’s with varying levels of maturity and skill will be helpful
Nice to Haves
- Demonstrated ability to develop and present executive level presentations
- What’s it like to work at MOO?
MOO’s the kind of workplace where you can really be yourself. Dye your hair purple. Hit the sofa with your laptop. Whatever helps you feel comfortable and happy at work. We want to help you grow in your career and set you up for success – while also recognising the importance of a healthy work/life balance.
That’s why we offer 23 days’ PTO plus Federal holidays, a 401(k) match, MOO stock option program, paid parental leave and we’ll cover 100% of your health, dental and vision care premiums. We’ll also cover you with life insurance and long-term disability insurance, and we offer a wellness program too.
We are working hard to create a representative, inclusive and super-friendly team, because we know that different experiences, perspectives and backgrounds make for a better workplace. And that creates a better experience for our customers. MOO doesn’t discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other protected class