- Date Posted
- Nov. 24, 2021
- Data Science
Motorway is the UK’s fastest-growing used car marketplace – our online-only platform connects private car sellers with thousands of verified dealers nationwide, ensuring everyone gets the best deal.
Founded in 2017, our innovative, technology-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly car sales and helping us to grow to a team of over 200 across 3 locations.
Motorway is backed by some of the world’s leading technology investors, having recently raised £48m in Series B funding from Index Ventures, BMW iVentures and others.
This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing scale-up at a crucial phase of growth, build amazing products with a high degree of influence, and help change an industry for the better.
About the role
Success in our data team is about enabling better decisions, faster. At the core of this mission sits our data platform which enables powerful, real-time analytics that empower the wider business.
We’re looking for a Data Analytics Engineer to join our ambitious multi-disciplinary team. Working mostly with dbt you will support the building of robust data models that support internal reporting and machine learning - all our data lives in one place and is made available via our data warehouse in Google BigQuery.
As we’re experiencing a phase of rapid growth we want to ensure we have a rock solid Data Warehouse to support decision-making, business intelligence and best in class data products. You’ll be working with a team of 5+ Analysts and Data Scientists in an agile environment, part of a wider community of practitioners in product development, strategy, finance, marketing and sales.
At Motorway, we work with cutting-edge data infrastructure such as Stitch, Meroxa, dbt, Google BigQuery, Google AI platform, Data Studio, and more. You’ll also have plenty of development and training opportunities in a truly forward-thinking company. The role is fast-moving and varied, so the ideal candidate will have a love for problem-solving, data and idea creation.
What you’ll do
- Support decision-making: provide clean, transformed data to end users in a way that empowers them to answer their own questions.
- Data quality: set standards on data robustness and freshness, and investigate and effectively work with colleagues from other disciplines to monitor and improve data quality across the organisation.
- Data modelling: define and refine best practices around modelling data.
- Metadata management: data assets documentation, discoverability, metadata integration.
- Coding standards: champion and implement software development best practices to ensure our code is high quality, well-tested, scalable and secure.
- Abstractions: create and manage reusable components in the form of jinja macros libraries and computation frameworks
- Data integrations: take responsibility for managing data integration tools (Meroxa and Stitch).
- Data operations: SLAs, data warehouse cost management, data quality monitoring, anomaly detection, and garbage collecting unused resources
- Stay on the cutting edge: we regularly do hack days! We believe in a culture of innovation in our day-to-day life. We experiment with new techniques, tools, and frameworks to keep Motorway at the leading edge of technology.
- You have experience and a passion for Data Modelling, ETL projects and Big Data as a developer or analyst
- SQL and data modelling are second nature to you.
- You are comfortable with general Data Warehousing concepts.
- You strive for improvement in your work and that of others, proactively identifying issues and opportunities.
- You have experience building robust and reliable data sets requiring a high level of control.
- Designing and Building data models.
- Data Visualisation experience.
- Exposure to Python or similar languages.
- Have previously used dbt, dataform or similar toolin.
- A competitive salary
- Annual learning budget with access to General Assembly courses, an Audible subscription and hundreds of books and online lessons
- BUPA health insurance
- Pension scheme
- Motorway car leasing scheme - lease a zero-emissions electric vehicle at a significant discount
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave
- Flexible working (approximately 2-3 days in the office a week) with the option to work fully remote for a month per year
- Top spec M1 MacBook Pro and accessories.
- Regular social events
- Cycle to work scheme
- The chance to join a rapidly growing, revenue-generating startup and build products that will change an industry
- The chance to work with the latest and greatest technologies, free from legacy systems and red tape
- If you’re into cars, opportunities to work with vehicle data and learn about the automotive industry. We also have some fun, car-related activities (as well as non-car fun too!)
Equal Opportunities Statement:
Motorway is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
Given the continued spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), all interviews will be conducted by phone or virtual connection to protect our candidates and employees.