- Date Posted
- Dec. 1, 2021
Motorway is the UK’s fastest-growing used car marketplace – our award winning, online-only platform connects private car sellers with thousands of verified dealers nationwide, ensuring everyone gets the best deal. Founded in 2017, our technology-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly car sales and helping us to grow to a team of over 250 across 4 locations.
Motorway is now valued at over $1 billion and is backed by some of the world’s leading technology investors, having raised £143 million in Series C funding. This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing scale-up at a crucial phase of growth and help change an industry for the better.
About the role
At Motorway we are looking for a people person with a passion for shaping an environment where outstanding individuals can thrive. We’re a values driven, results focussed organisation, and we’re looking for someone who wants to add to that.
Our People team’s purpose is to build a highly effective and healthy organisation and culture. This is the perfect role for someone who thrives in a fast paced, collaborative environment and is looking to define their career within a people-first organisation.
We want someone with a mind of their own, who is going to execute to a high level on the day to day, while running the odd side project. You must be passionate about creating an amazing workplace experience and have a practical approach to making this happen. We like simple ideas that are easy to implement and maintain, while having maximum impact.
- You will form effective relationships with the managers and leaders, including directors, in your departments, providing People guidance when appropriate.
- Analyse trends and metrics in order to to develop solutions, programs, and opportunities for learning.
- Manage and resolve basic employee relations issues. Escalate to the Head of People and/or Legal when needed.
- Maintain knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of team members, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Work closely with the team to improve work relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention.
- Partner with managers and leaders to ensure a vibrant and effective workplace.
- Provide guidance and input on division restructures, workforce planning and succession planning.
What we’re looking for
- You should have strong demonstrable HR experience, in a scale-up or a fast paced business.
- We’re looking for someone with great confidence, a highly approachable nature, and the ability to instil trust.
- You should have a strong and genuine sense of empathy.
- You should be extremely organised, and used to juggling many different tasks. We need someone who enjoys variety and is willing to get stuck in.
- You will need to be a proactive person who spots what needs to be done and takes it on without having to be asked.
- You should be a quick and creative problem solver who delivers well thought through solutions.
- We offer a very autonomous environment, so you will need to be resourceful and enjoy managing your own work and projects, while at the same time enjoying being part of a collaborative team.
- HR can be stressful, so you should be a person that is calm under pressure, and not easily fazed. A ‘can do’, practical attitude to problem solving will go a long way in this role. You must be confident dealing with conflict and handling disciplinaries when they arise.
- You must have a HR related degree or at minimum a CIPD level 5 qualification
- A competitive salary.
- A stake in the business, via our stock option plan, enabling you to share in the future growth and success of Motorway.
- BUPA health insurance.
- £100 annual learning budget with access to General Assembly courses, an Audible subscription and hundreds of books and online lessons.
- Pension scheme.
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave.
- Motorway Car Leasing Scheme
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Flexible working (approximately 2-3 days in the office a week) with the option to work fully remote for a month per year.
- Top spec MacBook Pro and peripherals.
- Regular social events.
- The chance to join a rapidly growing company that cares first and foremost about its people.
- The chance to work with an experienced and passionate team with a big vision.