- Date Posted
- Nov. 17, 2021
Motorway is the UK’s fastest-growing used car marketplace – our online-only platform connects private car sellers with thousands of verified dealers nationwide, ensuring everyone gets the best deal.
Founded in 2017, our innovative, technology-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly car sales and helping us to grow to a team of over 200 across 3 locations.
Motorway is backed by some of the world’s leading technology investors, having recently raised £48m in Series B funding from Index Ventures, BMW iVentures and others.
This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing scale-up at a crucial phase of growth, build amazing products with a high degree of influence, and help change an industry for the better.
About the role
Are you someone with a passion for DevOps and are looking to help build and grow a team? Motorway is growing its technology team and business, and as part of our growth we’re now looking to hire a Senior DevOps Engineer.
We’re currently a microservices environment, hosted and deployed in Heroku, using a CI/CD pipeline. As part of our scaling challenge we’re in the process of migration into our own AWS solution.
What you’ll do
The Motorway Engineering department has continued to grow and we’re looking for someone to work with us as a Senior DevOps Engineer as we build a world-class Engineering team.
- Manage, maintain & support our Heroku environments (until we move off Heroku).
- Build appropriate tooling for engineering teams.
- Reduce manual work (toil) for the technology team – yourself included! If we can automate it, with a tool or script - let’s do it.
- Own and implement appropriate monitoring & alerting.
- Assist the development teams in using these metrics to ensure the reliability of the platform across all services across all deployments.
- Define service level objectives.
- Own and implement new continuous deployment & release improvements to support Motorways ambitious future plans.
- Keep up to date with best practices in application hosting and continuous deployment.
- Familiarity with Heroku or Heroku-like PaaS.
- Familiarity with AWS.
- Experience with container deployment platforms like Kubernetes.
- Experience with Docker & Containerisation.
- Prior evidence of developing command-line tools.
- Experience with Serverless technologies e.g. AWS Lambda.
This position will include some level of out of hours on-call after your initial training period and will be supported by the rest of the engineering team – you are not expected to be on-call 24/7/365.
- Proven track record of supporting web platforms in production at scale.
- Experience in cloud platforms, and how to upgrade and fix.
- Experience defining metrics and monitoring on web platforms and setting up alerting for when those metrics are breached.
- Ability to monitor and identify network policy violations and system breaches.
- Experience with continuous delivery and zero-downtime deployments.
- Experience with incident response in an on-call environment.
- Comfortable with command-line tools and environments.
- Proficient with at least one server-side programming language.
- Enjoys complex problem-solving and delivery results.
As a team
We truly live our core values:
- Create new roads - “Changing things for the better through innovation.”
- Drive to win - “Beating the competition and winning as a team.”
- Take the wheel- “Being accountable and facing difficult challenges head-on.”
- Go the extra mile - “Delivering 5* standards for ourselves, our customers, and our colleagues.”
- Be humble - “Leaving egos at the door — we succeed as one.”
- A competitive salary.
- Significant stock options - we succeed and fail together as a team - we want you to be included in our success
- £500 annual learning budget with access to General Assembly courses, an Audible subscription and hundreds of books and online lessons.
- BUPA health insurance.
- Pension scheme.
- Motorway car leasing scheme - lease a zero-emissions electric vehicle at a significant discount
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave.
- Flexible working (approximately 2-3 days in the office a week) with the option to work fully remote for a month per year.
- Top spec M1 MacBook Pro and accessories.
- Regular social events.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- The chance to join a rapidly growing, revenue-generating startup and build products that will change an industry.
- The chance to work with the latest and greatest technologies, free from legacy systems and red tape.
- If you’re into cars, opportunities to work with vehicle data and learn about the automotive industry. We also have some fun, car-related activities (as well as non-car fun too!)
Equal Opportunities Statement
Motorway is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
Given the continued spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), all interviews will be conducted by phone or virtual connection to protect our candidates and employees.