- Date Posted
- Nov. 24, 2021
- Product Engineering
Motorway is the UK’s fastest-growing used car marketplace – our online-only platform connects private car sellers with thousands of verified dealers nationwide, ensuring everyone gets the best deal.
Founded in 2017, our innovative, technology-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly car sales and helping us to grow to a team of over 200 across 3 locations.
Motorway is backed by some of the world’s leading technology investors, having recently raised £48m in Series B funding from Index Ventures, BMW iVentures and others.
This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing scale-up at a crucial phase of growth, build amazing products with a high degree of influence, and help change an industry for the better.
About the role
Are you a technology leader and want to work for a technology-led company that is transforming an industry? Do you enjoy working in a flexible, agile environment, with core values of transparency, trust and continuous improvement, where people are first and core to how we build software?
At Motorway, individuals and teams are given the freedom and remit to set themselves up for success.
Our team culture is focussed on collaboration, and while we build primarily on node.js with a React Front End, any Engineering Manager from a technical background is welcome to apply.
Our Engineering department is going through a rapid phase of growth, and this is a great opportunity where you can shape the growing culture. Are you focussed on getting things done and putting your colleagues first? We truly live our core values of drive to win, accountability, bravery and humility.
We encourage you to apply, even if you might not meet all the requirements. You’ll be directly reporting to the Director of Engineering.
What you’ll do
- Lead 1-2 cross-functional agile teams of engineering to develop, test and deliver high quality software using agile principles and methodologies
- Mentor and promote career growth by providing feedback, learning & development opportunities to your team
- Oversee the design, development, testing and release of features using engineering best practices
- Serve as a technology leader with a strong focus on quality, performance, reliability, scalability & maintainability
- Own the delivery and quality of what your teams produce
- Work closely with Product Managers, in a partnership, to build the roadmaps that the teams will deliver against
- Instil excellence and continuously improve the processes, methodologies, standards and technology choices embraced by the team
- Capturing metrics and reporting to help guide continuous improvement.
- Drive design and planning activities by removing ambiguities, resolving dependent question and providing high level engineering estimates
- An Engineering Manager who embraces servant leadership principles
- View team success as your number one goal!
- Lead by example, support your team and prioritise their success above your own
- Experience in leading a high performing agile team with a history of delivery
- Lead and coached Engineers to be better every day - Kaizen! Continuous Improvement
- Expertise in agile and their adoption within teams - you’re at home looking at metrics around cycle time as well as encouraging collaboration within a team
During the interviews, there will be a few major areas covered:
- Technical Domain Excellence - Have and can you help teams make design and architecture decisions?
- Problem solving and coding - You no longer need to get your hands dirty with code, unless you want to, but you should still be able to understand help your teams work on problems
- Driving Results - At the end of the day, an Engineering Manager is a force multiplier. You’re there to help your team deliver.
- People Leadership - Everything an Engineering Manager does comes back to your people. How have you helped your people become better humans and Engineers?
- Motivation and Values - We’re a start up, moving into scale up! This is a key leadership hire that will help shape Motorway for the coming years while we transform an industry!
As a team
We truly live our core values. A lot of the role as an Engineering Manager in a scale up company is to embed and help drive those values we believe in:
- Create new Roads - We have a culture of innovation, we succeed by being fast and agile, testing new ideas and using what works. We need to keep on innovating, and of never believing good enough is okay, Kaizen - continuously improving!
- Take the Wheel - Being accountable for our roles and facing difficult challenges head-on. As an Engineering Manager, you should embody the principles of servant leadership, while being accountable and your team’s success and delivery. As a manager you will need to make hard decisions and take the initiative to succeed as a team.
- Drive to win - We’re going to completely change an industry. We believe in team success ahead of individual success, and work together collaboratively to build the best marketplace and company.
- Go the extra mile- Delivering 5 star standards for ourselves, our customers and our colleagues. We’re building both a 5 star company that we all want to work for, as well as a 5 star car marketplace that everyone wants to use. A place where everyone wins. Your biggest definition of success as an Engineering Manager is if everyone in our team succeeds.
- Be Humble - We work with nice humans, and we want to continue working with nice humans! We succeed together, we don’t blame others and we know we’re not perfect and ask for help. We have a flat, collaborative culture and we want to continue having us work together as a team.
- A competitive salary.
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave.
- BUPA health insurance.
- A stake in the business, via our stock option programme, enabling you to share in the future growth and success of Motorway.
- £350 annual learning budget with access to General Assembly courses, an Audible subscription and hundreds of books and online lessons.
- Pension scheme.
- Motorway Car Leasing Scheme
- Flexible working (approximately 2-3 days in the office a week) with the option to work fully remote for a month per year.
- Flexible working hours
- Top spec MacBook Pro and peripherals.
- Regular social events.
- Discounted Calm membership.
- Cycle to work scheme
- The chance to join a rapidly growing company that cares first and foremost about its people.
- The chance to work with an experienced and passionate team with a big vision.
- The opportunity to build products that have real impact and will change an industry.
Equal Opportunities Statement
Motorway is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
Given the continued spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), all interviews will be conducted by phone or virtual connection to protect our candidates and employees.