- Date Posted
- Dec. 15, 2021
- Software Engineering
Motorway is the UK’s fastest-growing used car marketplace — our online-only platform connects private car sellers with thousands of verified dealers nationwide, ensuring everyone gets the best deal.
Founded in 2017, our award-winning, technology-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly car sales and helping us to grow to a team of over 250 across 4 locations.
Motorway is now valued at over $1 billion and is backed by some of the world’s leading technology investors, having raised £143 million in Series C funding.
This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing scale-up at a crucial phase of growth and help change an industry for the better
About the role
Motorway is growing its technology team and business, and as part of our growth we’re now looking to hire Tech Leads to help lead our Engineering Squads.
We’re currently a microservices environment, hosted and deployed in Heroku (almost fully moved to AWS), using a CI/CD pipeline.
- Overall responsible for the architecture, design, code quality, platform stability and resilience of the features your team produces - you don’t do it all, you work with your team to make it happen!
- Take architectural ownership
- Work with your team to scope complex tasks and projects, working closer with the Product Manager to break them down into smaller, tangible tasks and stories
- Mentor and help grow other engineers
- Partner with your Product Manager and Engineering Manager to help with decisions around prioritisation, work division, goal setting and tech debt
- Develop new features - at least 50% of your time, preferably 70% should be writing new features
- Engineer a better code base with your team
- Be part of an 8-10 person agile, cross functional, Engineering Squad
- Help evolve development standards and processes
- Model the behaviour you want to see in the team
- Strong commercial experience working with web apps, website and APIs in a production environment
- Experience of agile software development practices and working collaboratively in a team environment
- Experience working with relational databases and NoSQL databases, including complex queries and performance optimization
- Enjoy helping other Engineers become better Engineers
- Be hands-on with development teams, you’ll understand what good code looks like and see the bigger picture, taking architecture into consideration with a DevSecOps mindset.
- Previous experience working in a company scaling up is useful, but not essential
- Previous experience in leading a team is useful, but not essential
As a team
We truly live our core values:
- Create new roads—“Changing things for the better through innovation.”
- Drive to win—“Beating the competition and winning as a team.”
- Take the wheel—“Being accountable and facing difficult challenges head-on.”
- Go the extra mile—“Delivering 5* standards for ourselves, our customers, and our colleagues.”
- Be humble— “Leaving egos at the door — we succeed as one.”
- A competitive salary.
- Significant stock options - we succeed and fail together as a team - we want you to be included in our success
- £500 annual learning budget with access to General Assembly courses, an Audible subscription and hundreds of books and online lessons.
- BUPA health insurance.
- Pension scheme.
- Motorway car leasing scheme - lease a zero-emissions electric vehicle at a significant discount
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave.
- Flexible working (approximately 2-3 days in the office a week) with the option to work fully remote for a month per year.
- Top spec M1 MacBook Pro and accessories.
- Regular social events.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- The chance to join a rapidly growing, revenue-generating startup and build products that will change an industry.
- The chance to work with the latest and greatest technologies, free from legacy systems and red tape.
- If you’re into cars, opportunities to work with vehicle data and learn about the automotive industry. We also have some fun, car-related activities (as well as non-car fun too!)
Equal opportunities statement:
Motorway is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
Given the continued spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), all interviews will be conducted by phone or virtual connection to protect our candidates and employees.