- Date Posted
- Jun. 15, 2021
- Software Engineering
Motorway is growing its technology team and business, and as part of our growth we’re now looking to hire Tech Leads to help lead our Engineering Squads.
We’re currently a microservices environment, hosted and deployed in Heroku (almost fully moved to AWS), using a CI/CD pipeline.
- Overall responsible for the architecture, design, code quality, platform stability and resilience of the features your team produces - you don’t do it all, you work with your team to make it happen!
- Take architectural ownership
- Work with your team to scope complex tasks and projects, working closer with the Product Manager to break them down into smaller, tangible tasks and stories
- Mentor and help grow other engineers
- Partner with your Product Manager and Engineering Manager to help with decisions around prioritisation, work division, goal setting and tech debt
- Develop new features - at least 50% of your time, preferably 70% should be writing new features
- Engineer a better code base with your team
- Be part of an 8-10 person agile, cross functional, Engineering Squad
- Help evolve development standards and processes
- Model the behaviour you want to see in the team
- Strong commercial experience working with web apps, website and APIs in a production environment
- Experience of agile software development practices and working collaboratively in a team environment
- Experience working with relational databases and NoSQL databases, including complex queries and performance optimization
- Enjoy helping other Engineers become better Engineers
- Be hands-on with development teams, you’ll understand what good code looks like and see the bigger picture, taking architecture into consideration with a DevSecOps mindset.
- Previous experience working in a company scaling up is useful, but not essential
- Previous experience in leading a team is useful, but not essential
As a team
We truly live our core values:
- Bravery - As a team we are transparent and open. We don’t believe just because we’ve done it this way before, we should stay the same.
- Drive to win - We’re going to completely change an industry. We believe in team success ahead of individual success, so work together collaboratively to get things done.
- Accountability - We take responsibility for what we do and how we do it. We’re transparent and we believe in a non blame culture, when things go wrong, we admit our mistakes, learn from them and improve.
- Humility - We work with nice humans, and we want to continue working with nice humans! We succeed together, we don’t blame others and we know we’re not perfect and ask for help.
- A competitive salary.
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave.
- BUPA health insurance.
- £500 annual learning budget with access to General Assembly courses, an Audible subscription and hundreds of books and online lessons.
- Pension scheme.
- Flexible working (approximately 2-3 days in the office a week) with the option to work fully remote for a month per year.
- Top spec MacBook Pro and peripherals.
- Regular social events.
- Discounted Calm membership.
- The chance to join a rapidly growing company that cares first and foremost about its people.
- The chance to work with an experienced and passionate team with a big vision.
- The opportunity to build products that have real impact and will change an industry.
Equal Opportunities Statement
Motorway is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
Given the continued spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), all interviews will be conducted by phone or virtual connection to protect our candidates and employees.