- Date Posted
- Sep. 6, 2021
- Software Engineering
Motorway is the UK’s fastest-growing used car marketplace. We’re disrupting a decades old industry by helping private car owners sell their car for the best possible price through an online platform of car dealers.
Our innovative, online, product-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly sales and helping us to grow to a team of over 200 across 3 locations.
This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing scale-up, build amazing products, and change an industry.
About the role
- Motorway is truly a people-first, technology led company.
Do you enjoy working in a flexible, truly agile environment where you are empowered to build the best vehicle selling marketplace in the world? Do you have the desire to contribute, learn and grow, working in a collaborative and supportive environment?
We have regular hack days (currently every 2 months) to encourage and instil a culture of innovation and experimentation, where we sometimes learn from the experiments that don’t work more than the things that do.
Our Engineering department is going through a phase of growth, where we have more features to build than people to build them! Most of the work is greenfields work on brand new features, solving some very interesting problems in transforming an industry.
The used car selling experience, both for sellers and dealers, is one that has historically not been online. It’s one of the last few industries that has not been digitally transformed. In 2019, 5% of used car transactions happened online. That’s changing fast, and Motorway is the marketplace that is moving the car industry online.
We’re looking for a Node.js Engineer who is starting their career journey to join our team. You’ll be working daily with a team of around 7 people in an agile squad, part of a wider community of practice in both Engineering and the Back End Guild.
We encourage you to apply, even if you might not meet all the requirements. You’ll be directly reporting to a Technical Lead, who will help mentor and guide you in your career.
What you’ll do
- Develop back end technology, launching new features with a focus on optimising performance
- Be the first technical point of contact for maintaining the current platform and services
- Work hand in hand with design and product to collaboratively build work that has excellent UX and quality values - each squad has a dedicated Product Owner and design lead
- Be part of an 8-10 person agile engineering team
- Be part of our flat-structured development team and being involved in the technical and product strategy of the business
- Implementing software development best practices to ensure our code is high quality, well-tested, scalable and secure
- Work across our collection of microservices (node.js with Express and Sequelize) that power our user-facing applications through RESTful APIs
- Understanding of OOP
- Understanding of JS and Node.js features
- Understanding of design patterns
- Most importantly, a desire to learn, grow and deliver software
- Submit your CV to us
- Our Recruitment team will run through it, and provide feedback
- Those shortlisted will have a 15-30 minute chat with one of our awesome Recruitment team.
- If we’re a match, you’ll then be asked to complete a technical test : https://motorway.notion.site/Trainee-Backend-Engineer-Tech-Task-f7e040e7b1ea4d38a7524d555bb7a41d
- You’ll get feedback on the test. If your solution is what we’re looking for, you’ll be invited to our Trainee Recruitment day occurring on Wednesday October 6th. Due to the volume of applicants for this role, you will need to be available for that one date.
- On the day, Brad Jayakody (Director of Engineering) & Harry Jones (Founder and Chief Product Officer) will chat about Motorway as a company, product and Engineering department.
- You will participate in a paired programming exercise, extending the solution you submitted, a cultural interview and a group exercise.
- We aim to provide feedback and potentially an offer within 24 hours of the in-person interview day
As a team
We truly live our core values:
- Create new roads - “Changing things for the better through innovation.” As a team we are transparent and open. We don’t believe just because we’ve done it this way before, we should stay the same. We’re a curious bunch. We ask “what if…?” and “why not?”. We’re brave enough to do things differently and attempt something new if it means we can deliver greater satisfaction to our customers. Whether it’s a baby step towards something better or a huge leap, we consider things as a team and we move forward together.
- Drive to win - We’re going to completely change an industry. We believe in team success ahead of individual success, and work together collaboratively to get things done.
- Take the wheel- “Being accountable and facing difficult challenges head-on.” We take responsibility for what we do and how we do it. We’re transparent and we believe in a non blame culture, when things go wrong, we admit our mistakes, learn from them and improve.
- Go the extra mile - “Delivering 5* standards for ourselves, our customers, and our colleagues.” We craft 5-star experiences that wow and delight. We don’t just want to be good, we want to be 10 times better than everyone else in all our work, from internal processes to external customer service. No detail is too small when it comes to doing things the Motorway way. 5-star is more than a goal, it’s a mentality and at the heart of all we do. The magic that creates real Motorway moments.
- Be humble - We work with nice humans, and we want to continue working with nice humans! We succeed together, we don’t blame others and we know we’re not perfect and ask for help. Humility isn’t about playing down your abilities — our team is made up of talented people, and we’re proud of it. Humility is about knowing even the most skilful person can still always learn more. We’re always learning, and we wouldn’t have it any other way. We know that we don’t have all the answers alone and are happy to turn to others for help or to help those who need it. We share our skills and our knowledge to create a collaborative environment where everyone can constantly develop their talents.
- A competitive salary of £33,000 a year.
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave.
- BUPA health insurance.
- £100 annual learning budget with access to General Assembly courses, an Audible subscription and hundreds of books and online lessons.
- Pension scheme.
- Motorway Car Leasing Scheme
- Flexible working (approximately 2-3 days in the office a week) with the option to work fully remote for a month per year.
- Top spec MacBook Pro and peripherals.
- Regular social events.
Equal Opportunities Statement:
Motorway is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
Given the continued spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), all interviews will be conducted by phone or virtual connection to protect our candidates and employees.