- New York
- Date Posted
- Oct. 6, 2021
- Product Management
- Business Applications
We are Multiverse, a tech startup with a social mission. We’re building an outstanding alternative to university and corporate training, to develop a diverse group of future leaders. Our impact focuses on three core areas: measuring potential beyond academics, delivering world-class job-focused training via applied learning, and helping diverse groups of young people build social capital through a thriving community.
We are one of the fastest-growing businesses in Europe and also rapidly expanding in North America, working with over 300 clients including Facebook, Morgan Stanley, KPMG, Kantar, Citi, and Microsoft.
We started 2021 with the UK’s largest-ever EdTech funding round - a $44m Series B. Since then we’ve opened our New York office, and been awarded “Outstanding” by OFSTED (the UK government’s education regulator) across every category. In September 2021, we broke the funding record again with a $130m Series C raise.
As the Head of Communications in the US, you will be accountable for raising awareness for Multiverse and driving the conversation professional apprenticeships. Reporting to the Director of Communications and Public Affairs, you help define a category of one - and provide a solution to the twin challenges of racial equity in education and work and the digital skills gap.
You will use media relations, partnerships, and our owned social channels to generate a conversation and raise the salience of the issues we solve, champion apprenticeship programs, and help apprentices tell their stories.
This is our first Communications hire in the United States and therefore will be critical to building Multiverse’s brand in the market. We are a small team in the US and growing quickly, so looking for someone who loves driving impact quickly, is prepared to learn fast and iterate, and who thrives in a rapidly scaling and fast-paced environment where no two days look the same.
The right candidate will be excited about helping to define and create an entirely new category and has the energy, hustle, and smarts to drive performance and outcomes for Multiverse across media, PR, and broader communications strategy
In your role, you will:
- Lead our US communications strategy including planning, prioritizing and executing against media KPIs, managing this tightly with the team on a quarterly basis
- Take ownership of announcements with the Press including partnerships with companies launching Multiverse apprenticeship programs, new product innovations, and other notable milestones
- Be a thought leader: You will generate new ideas for announcements, work closely with our marketing, community, and go-to-market teams to drive
- Act as a champion of our apprentices, working with them to tell their stories to an audience of potential candidates, as well as employers. You will develop and train a network of apprentices able to confidently and effectively speak to media about their experiences
- Build, grow and maintain a network of media and public allies to work alongside - amplifying Multiverse’s story, and that of the growth of professional apprentices in America to ensure that Multiverse and apprenticeships enters the mainstream - ultimately converting into sales opportunities and increased awareness of apprenticeships for candidates
- Plan, write, and place opinion pieces and case studies that demonstrate the meaningful value and impact of apprenticeships
- Help define a category of one by informing and developing a US media strategy as part of our global approach to the future of education and work
- Partner with the US marketing and outreach teams with your energy and unique perspective to drive candidate acquisition and generate business leads
- Work directly with the Leadership team via media advice and interview preparation, becoming a trusted advisor to leaders across the business.
- A love for storytelling, particularly when it comes to inspiring young people, and issues around equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Media hustle - thriving equally whether arranging fast-paced broadcast media or planning long features
- A relentless approach to excellence - you have high expectations for yourself and others, constantly striving for the best, and have a track record to reinforce this
- A focus on outcomes - you hold yourself to account by the outcomes you deliver and are focused on ensuring that every interaction moves the business forward
- Experience managing an agency or working closely on the interface between in-house/agency roles
- Excellent communication skills with proven ability to influence internal and external senior stakeholders
- Ability to lead on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment, and prioritize effectively. You have an equal willingness towards rolling up your sleeves and taking a step back to see the big picture
- Team management experience - must be approachable, responsive, and hands-on
- Ruthless judgment when it comes to evaluating media requests, and prioritizing strategies in accordance with business needs.
- Comfort working within a change-oriented, ambiguous, and fast-paced environment
- Commitment to Multiverse’s mission and values
What’s in it for you?
- Ownership in the business through equity options
- 20 days PTO to ensure you have plenty of time to recharge and stay on top of your game. We will make you take them!
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance plans and 401(k) starting on day 1
- Be surrounded by smart, driven, and ambitious people who dream big, work hard, & have fun
- Be at the heart of a rapidly accelerating business that the leading Silicon Valley VCs are investing in, and be part of the foundational team on the ground in the US
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.