- New York
- Date Posted
- Aug. 25, 2021
- Software Engineering
- Business Applications
We are Multiverse, a tech startup on a mission and one of the fastest growing companies in Europe. We’re building an outstanding alternative to university and corporate training, to develop a diverse group of future leaders. Our unique apprenticeships serve as an alternative to the traditional college and university system. Our impact focuses on three primary areas: measuring potential beyond academics to recruit apprentices, delivering world-class job-focused training via applied learning programs, and helping diverse groups of young people build social capital and strong networks through a thriving community both on and offline.
In Europe we are expanding rapidly and already work with over 300 clients including Facebook, Morgan Stanley, KPMG, Kantar, Citi and Microsoft.
- 2021 is going to be big
As a company we have big plans, to continue our expansion and growth in the UK, but also launching our programs in the US this spring. We want to build an iconic company that becomes one of the great European businesses of our generation.
To kick start the year we announced our Series B funding round. At $44 million, it’s the largest venture raise from a UK EdTech company in history. The round, which was led by General Catalyst, also features GV (Google Ventures), and includes Audacious Ventures, Latitude and SemperVirens. Index Ventures and Lightspeed Venture Partners, who contributed to a $16 million Series A investment last year, also participated in the round.
We have also taken a bold step forward by changing our name from WhiteHat to Multiverse. The inspiration for WhiteHat came from computer hacking for good. While we spent four successful years hacking the system, we were only just getting started. Inspired by the theory that there’s an infinite number of alternative universes, our new name, Multiverse, communicates our belief in launching limitless possibilities.
The role of the software engineering coach at Multiverse:
(Note, this role can be based remotely anywhere in the US)
If you love inspiring and teaching others about software engineering, get a buzz from seeing young people develop and learn new skills, and truly care about building the next generation of software engineering professionals, this is the role for you. We have partnered with Google to deliver a 20-month software engineering program that sets learners up for success in their careers within the industry.
Specifically you will:
- Lead an 8-week software engineering bootcamp to prepare apprentices for entry-level jobs in this field.
- In this bootcamp, the coach is provided with materials for career and program readiness sessions, which the coach will execute at a high level of accuracy and engagement.
- After the bootcamp, provide 1:1 coaching, project support, and innovative hands-on practical workshops for the remaining months while apprentices are on the job.
- Deliver the Multiverse curriculum, in which apprentices will learn about the different facets of software engineering such as Object-Oriented Programming, the Software Lifecycle, APIs, and Web Accessibility
General Responsibilities of the Coach:
- Build a vibrant community of learners from a range of different backgrounds and ensure a motivating and supportive virtual study environment
- Take full responsibility for the progress that your cohorts of young people make through their apprenticeship
- Work with their managers to understand the needs of their role and how to best support their professional development
- Work internally with Multiverse colleagues to ensure the quality of the program and our delivery is first class by helping to iterate and further build the program
- Monitor progress of learners through data collection and sharing insights with the Program team and partners to facilitate the next steps in the learning journey
Who are you?:
Maybe you’ve been in a technical instructor role and have a deep knowledge of software engineering. Maybe you’ve worked as a software engineer but always enjoyed mentoring others. Maybe you’ve been a classroom teacher and you have studied software engineering on the side. Whatever your background, the thing that gives you the most energy is seeing others succeed in grasping an idea and fulfilling their potential.
Requirements of the software engineering coach role:
- You have strong knowledge of all things software engineering.
- You have commercial experience using these skills, whether in a full-time role or consultancy/freelance projects
- You are passionate about teaching and love the detail of developing an effective learning experience
- You believe in the principles of applied learning: it’s all about developing the knowledge, skills, and behaviors in a way that can be used in a real context, immediately.
- You believe passionately in economic and social mobility and the development of talent no matter what their background.
- You have the ability to teach remotely. You will be provided with all necessary technology (laptop, second screen, headset, etc).
- You have the ability to travel approximately 2 consecutive days per month.
- You are flexible and resilient; our program content and structure may change to better suit the needs of apprentices, so you must be adaptable and constantly open to iteration.
What’s in it for you?
- Ownership in the business through equity options
- 20 days PTO to ensure you have plenty of time to recharge and stay on top of your game. We will make you take them!
- Learn from the people who grew four different pre-IPO businesses to multi-billion dollar valuations (most recently AppDynamics)
- Be surrounded by smart, driven and ambitious people who dream big, work hard and have fun
- Comprehensive insurance plans and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Be at the heart of a rapidly accelerating business that the leading Silicon Valley VCs are investing in; and be part of the foundational team on the ground in the US
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Covid-19 and hiring
As we navigate through this pandemic together, we want to reassure you that keeping candidates and our employees safe is of paramount importance to us. That’s why the entire recruitment process will take place remotely, using phone and video calls (usually zoom). For successful candidates who end up being hired, we always ensure a safe, engaging and (for the time being) a remote onboarding experience. We also take care to make sure all of your equipment will be sent to you by courier, so you are ready for your first day.