- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- May. 31, 2021
- Design & UI
- Financial Services
A bit about Newfront:
From the Mayflower to the moon landing, every venture relies on insurance. The $1 trillion insurance industry is fundamental to our economy, but it has been slow to modernize. It’s a fragmented market (where the largest player only holds a single-digit market share) that represents an enormous opportunity. At Newfront, we provide comprehensive risk management powered by advanced technology and a client-obsessed culture.
Our unique approach recognizes both the vast potential of technology and the fundamental role of expert advice and trusted relationships. While we’re a technology-driven company, we believe that people matter most. Our mission is to define the future of the insurance industry by leveraging modern technology that empowers people with information and delivers world-class service to our clients.
We’re the fastest-growing brokerage in the country because we’re built for the 21st century.
Why we’re looking for someone like you:
As one of the first design hires at Newfront you will join a team creating a completely new brokerage experience from the ground up. We’re using technology and empathy to encourage the antiquated insurance industry into the modern era, and to empower those who interact with it along the way. You’ll be responsible for user research, creating prototypes, and designing 0-to-1 product features. You’ll work on a specific product development team with engineers and a product manager and own the designs for all features within a product area.
We design products for 3 major user groups – our clients, brokers, and the servicing team.
Clients: Insurance is a complicated product that costs a lot, and the bigger your business is, the more difficult it can be to understand and purchase the right coverage. We want to make the purchasing experience transparent and understandable in order to give clients peace of mind. During the policy term, it should be quick and easy for them to request updates, make claims, pay, or otherwise get help from their servicing team.
Brokers: We help them turn leads into sales. Insurance brokers are like a sales team in a traditional SaaS company. They need a dashboard that clearly communicates the status of all of their clients, tracks their leads, shows their progress towards sales goals, and enables collaboration between them and the servicing team.
Servicing team: This team includes account managers and operations specialists responsible for providing stellar service to our clients. They are the backbone of the company since the quality and efficiency of their work directly translate into year-over-year retention of Newfront’s clients.
We value collaboration with cross-functional peers and encourage them to work directly with us in exploring their issues and how a combination of product and process may help them progress towards their goals. You should feel comfortable doing user research with an audience unfamiliar with how technology is developed. You thrive when given independence and ownership and feel incredible responsibility for maximizing the value your products and features give to our users. You are resourceful and confident enough to make mistakes, take feedback, and then iterate.
You’ll be responsible for:
- User research. The Newfront platform is the operational backbone of our business. You’ll be responsible for extracting insights from our users, identifying gaps and opportunities in their user experience, and designing solutions.
- Collaborating with product managers and engineers to prioritize, plan, and execute. You will work with Product Managers to conduct research and solidify project briefs, create mocks and prototypes, and work with engineering to clarify requirements and solve for technical constraints.
- Building and maintaining the Newfront design system. Ability to work within an existing design system and creating new elements when needed.
- Designing across milestones. Each product area has a roadmap that you are constantly keeping in mind and helping to validate. When you create designs for a milestone, you’re used to looking ahead to make sure that your design direction will support future roadmap items.
You’ll be a great fit if you have:
- Experience. 2-4 years of experience as an individual contributor on an in-house Product Design team.
- Portfolio. Showcase of web (native optional) projects that highlights your approach to problem solving, as well as the solutions themselves. Case studies should demonstrate your skills in research, user experience, visual design, and interaction design.
- Communication: Excellent communication and storytelling skills, in writing and in speaking. Ability to explain to crossfunctional peers your role and how best to work with design.
- Teamwork: Experience partnering with Product and Engineering to deliver well-crafted product features.
Nice to haves:
- Prototyping and/or coding: Understanding of front-end frameworks like Angular and React. Front-end development skills are a plus.
- Relevant domain spaces: prior experience with fintech, insurance, workflow, and/or productivity products.
- This position is open to remote candidates with a preference for those between the GMT-5 (Eastern EST) and GMT-8 (Pacific PST) timezones. #LI-Remote
- Competitive compensation
- Stock Options
- 100% employer-covered Medical and Dental
- Unlimited PTO
- 401k Employee Contribution Program
- Quarterly team events
- Newfront is an equal opportunity employer — we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.