- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Sep. 29, 2021
- Software Engineering
A bit about Newfront:
From the Mayflower to the moon landing, every venture relies on insurance. The $1 trillion insurance industry is fundamental to our economy and society, but remains stuck in the stone age. Incumbents rely on antiquated pen-and-paper process and there’s a huge opportunity to transform it through technology. At Newfront, we’re building software to supercharge insurance brokers and help them deliver a delightful experience to clients.
While we’re a technology-driven company, we believe that people and trusted relationships matter. Newfront believes in empowering people rather than “disrupting” them. Our singular mission is to create the future of work for this massive industry.
As a Senior Software Engineer at Newfront, you will work with a team building features across the platform to help clients manage their risk and supercharge our brokers. There are tons of challenging technical problems to solve that directly impact the lives of your teammates and Newfront clients.
Newfront scales by hiring brokers who join with their book of business. Through automation and artificial intelligence, we eliminate paperwork and pay brokers a higher split of their commission revenue. We represent a paradigm shift in the industry and career path for tens of thousands of brokers.
- This position is open to remote candidates with Pacific Time Zone preferred. #LI-Remote
- To learn more about the technology we're building, watch our video Engineering at Newfront
- To learn more about our mission and values, check out our Careers Page or Key Values
- To learn more about our funding, check out this Forbes article
What you’ll work on
- Leading the development of product features: You’ll be the front-end engineer for one of the cross-functional product teams. You’ll be involved during product discovery and you’ll contribute to the design process. You’ll be responsible for speccing and building the front-end for each project your team takes on. These projects range in scope from small changes to a large product redesign.
- Designing product features: Smaller projects might not need a detailed design prototype. You will be able to jump right into the code and try out a few interaction patterns to solve the problem. You’ll also be heavily involved in the design process with product designers and product managers.
- Building, maintaining, and contributing to the design system: We have a design system in its infancy that we use to build all of the product features at Newfront. We want to build tools to seamlessly use the design system across Figma, Framer, Storybook, and Next.js.
- Working in concert with design: You’ll work with the designer to understand how it fits into the system and break it down into components so that it can be built efficiently. You’ll have to have a good understanding of the trade-offs of various forms of abstraction.
- Build and contribute to the design system: You will design and build our design system by contributing new components, modifying existing components, and helping other engineers use the system. This means you have an eye for design and care about the little details that transform an ordinary interface into something that feels polished and beautiful.
- Plan and implement front-end architectural features. You’ll be able to help implement company-wide front-end systems to help support the rest of the team. This could be instituting some new best practice, tool, library, or workflow.
- You’ll be planning and leading front-end projects. As the front-end engineer on the product team, you’ll be responsible for scoping and planning work. You’ll be able to take a prototype and a product spec, break it down into tasks, and communicate your plan with the rest of the team.
- 5+ years of front-end engineering and/or work related industry experience. You have previous success developing and shipping a large-scale web application with a user-empathetic mindset
- You care about industry best practices: You understand which features can be used across the various browsers, you understand how to make a website accessible, and you know how to implement responsive design.
- You have an understanding of interaction design: You’re able to understand why particular interactions should be used and when. You’re able to recommend particular UI patterns to solve user problems and understand the trade-offs.
- You care about the tiny details. You notice when elements are off by 1 or 2 pixels and it will eat at you until you fix it. You’re aware that loss of quality is often death by a thousand cuts.
- You’re comfortable with ambiguity. Our philosophy for design and product is to do just enough to communicate an idea so we can start building and learning. This means that as a front-end engineer you need to be able to make high-quality design decisions and have a deep understanding of the product requirements.
Newfront is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Newfront provides reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.