- Date Posted
- Jul. 6, 2021
- Software Engineering
A bit about Newfront:
From the Mayflower to the moon landing, every venture relies on insurance. The $1 trillion insurance industry is fundamental to our economy and society, but remains stuck in the stone age. Incumbents rely on antiquated pen-and-paper process and there’s a huge opportunity to transform it through technology. At Newfront, we’re building software to supercharge insurance brokers and help them deliver a delightful experience to clients.
While we’re a technology-driven company, we believe that people and trusted relationships matter. Newfront believes in empowering people rather than “disrupting” them. Our singular mission is to create the future of work for this massive industry.
As a Platform Engineer at Newfront, you will work with a team building core services and features across the platform. This will allow product engineers to have the building blocks they need to quickly stand up product features that scale. There are tons of challenging technical problems to solve that directly impact the lives of your teammates and Newfront clients.
Newfront scales by hiring brokers who join with their book of business. Through automation and artificial intelligence, we eliminate paperwork and pay brokers a higher split of their commission revenue. We represent a paradigm shift in the industry and career path for tens of thousands of brokers.
- This position is open to remote candidates with Pacific Time Zone preferred. #LI-Remote
- To learn more about the technology we're building, watch our video Engineering at Newfront
- To learn more about our mission and values, check out our Careers Page or Key Values
- To learn more about our funding, check out this Forbes article
What you’ll work on
- Participate in the development of core services and features: You’ll be involved during core service discovery and you’ll contribute to the technical design process. You are product-minded and able to collaborate with a Product Manager to define the roadmap and vision. You’ll be responsible for speccing and building out features and infrastructure
- Participate in the development of core libraries and frameworks that other engineers will use on a daily basis.
- Mentor other engineers: You will work with other engineers on your team to help them grow and develop their skills
5+ years of engineering experience. You have previous success developing and shipping core services that scale and are consumed and relied on by a variety of engineers.
You're product-minded. You take initiative to understand production intention, team goals, business context, and user problems to propose improvements, eliminate gaps, and reduce risk in the project. You contribute to and drive the team roadmap with product and design. You meet with stakeholders across the company when needed to eliminate gaps in your knowledge. You work closely with design to create a world class User Experience.
Security-minded. You have a detailed understanding of security protocols like OAuth2/OIDC/JWT. You understand client-side cookie authentication and JWT. You should have an understanding of front-end security risks and how to mitigate them.
In-depth knowledge of microservice/cloud and enterprise architecture patterns. You have a track record of success in architecting and building distributed applications in the cloud. You design for efficiency, reliability, and resiliency and know when to make trade-offs between them. You have experience with messaging/pub-sub systems such as SNS/SQS, ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ, or similar.
Nice to haves
Proficiency in NodeJS and Typescript
Experience with Dependency Injection Frameworks
- Understanding of containerization technologies such as Docker
- Experience deploying services in AWS using Terraform
- Passionate about building frameworks that other engineers will use
- Some of the technologies we use
Newfront is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Newfront provides reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.