- Richmond, UK
- Date Posted
- Nov. 17, 2021
We are notonthehighstreet.
We’re home to 5,000 phenomenal small creative businesses that we are proud to call our Partners. But, now more than ever, this community needs our support. So we’re doing all we can to shine a light on these dynamic entrepreneurs, waving the flag for small businesses and generally championing their socks off.
On top of our brilliant Partners, products and customers (not to mention our incredible team who have been busy beavering away from home since March), the last 12 months has seen great progress with our tech platform and customer experience. We are now looking to build on this momentum to drive our business to the next level. And that’s where you come in.
As a Finance Manager, your role will be to offer crucial support to our Financial Controller and Technology team as the business grows. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about understanding what makes the business tick - you’ll be able to see beyond the numbers to understand the story they tell. The sale of the business to new investors means there is a lot change and this is a busy role.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a finance all-rounder: someone with excellent financial accounting skills but also commercial awareness and influencing skills who can be a strong business partner to the Tech team. Not just that, you’ll make a difference within a fast-paced and entrepreneurial business, in a broad & cross-functional role, and to drive clear improvements in both top- & bottom-line performance.
You’ll be working in the Core Finance team, reporting to the Financial Controller, within the Finance department under the leadership of the CFO. You’ll also be working closely with the Tech team and the Commercial Finance team.
- Please note – Role will be covering a 6-7 month maternity leave . Applicants must be available to start by Monday, December 6th.
- What you’ll be doing...
- Oversight of daily and weekly cash management, supporting the Accounts Payable Manager and FC
- Supporting the FC in modelling, analysing, explaining, and reporting on Cash. Robust analysis of working capital movements compared to forecast and closing cash positions
- Supporting the FC in cashflow forecasting
- Review of monthly bank reconciliations prepared by other members of the Core Finance Team
- Drives improvements in cash management including through education of wider business
- Management of bank permissions and bank authorities
- First point of contact within the Company for tax queries
- Keep up-to-date with relevant changes to tax legislation that will affect the business, supported by Legal
- Build and maintain strong relationship with our external corporation tax and VAT advisors
- Annual corporation tax return – liaison with the external tax team and alongside preparation of the annual corporation tax return and liaison for audit purposes
- Responsible for VAT compliance, including submission of VAT returns to both HMRC and Irish Revenue; and IOSS returns
- R&D tax claim - work closely with Technology team to prepare the annual Research & Development tax claim
- Leading any HMRC enquiries/audits, and liaising with our HMRC point of contact where necessary
- Partners - support to partners as required on tax guidance
Technology Business Partner
- Be the focal point for interaction between Finance and the Technology team, building strong working relationships with CTO and relevant senior management
- Responsible for overseeing the Company’s website technical accounting capitalisation process and monthly calculations
- Present accurate financial information to CTO on timely basis, identifying and evaluating variances to budget
- Providing analytics and support to aid in key strategic decision making
- Assist during the annual budgeting and reforecast processes
- Support the Tech team with ad hoc reporting requirements
- Prepare a monthly rolling forecast of anticipated spend, plus commentary on variances to actuals to the Commercial Finance Team
- Monthly reporting - delivery of timely, accurate & high quality reporting and other regular financial reporting, with commentary that communicates the trends and challenges facing the business
- The close-cycle is 5-6 working days
- Balance Sheet - support the Financial Controller in monthly balance sheet re-forecasting
- External Audit - support the FC in the annual audit and preparation of statutory accounts for the year ended 31 March
- Support the FC in the production of the Word document and Excel with Financial Statements and Notes that reconciles to TB’s
- Technical Accounting - responsible for researching all new accounting standards which may affect the production of the annual statutory accounts and planning how to implement these in a timely and efficient manner
Other Key Financial Accounting Tasks
- Risk Register - maintain Corporate Criminal Offence risk register and assist the Financial Controller with the main risk register and quarterly reporting to the Audit and Risk Committee
- Insurance - work closely with internal legal team in renewing company insurance policies
- Share Capital - responsible for all share capital movements including liaising with the People team on share option movements, preparing and submitting valuations, HMRC notifications and annual returns
- Netsuite - assist with improved use of our new accounting software
- Ad hoc projects as they arise – particularly in the Technology, Treasury and Tax space
- Some key skills and experience you’ll need...
- You’ll need to be a qualified accountant with some previous experience gained within industry and strong academics
- You’ll be highly numerate with a strong attention to detail
- You’ll have general experience of VAT, Corporation Tax
- You’ll have strong experience of stakeholder management, comfortable to challenge as necessary
- You’ll be a brilliant communicator with the ability to explain complex financial concepts to non-financial people
- You’ll pride yourself on developing and maintaining good working relationships with colleagues, and have the credibility with peers and senior managers
- You’ll have some demonstrable experience as a business partner
- You’ll be enthusiastic, self-motivated and intellectually curious; you’ll feel comfortable in asking challenging questions, and see them through to find the answer.
- You’ll have excellent problem solving skills and the ability to think on your feet. You’ll have a strong commercial awareness and ability to see the “big picture”.
- You are a great team player, but are also able to work under own guidance when you need to; able to work remotely and in the office
- Some experience working in an online/retail business or another fast paced industry is preferable
- Previous experience with Netsuite is beneficial but not essential
- Oh, and you’ll enjoy working in fast-paced environment - things can move very quickly around here!
It’s important to us that our people are well looked after, which is why we offer everyone BUPA healthcare, life insurance and a pension plan. Because having a break is important for your physical and mental wellbeing, our holiday allowance is 25 days (plus bank holidays) AND your entitlement increases an extra day for every 2 years you spend with us.
The team spirit at NOTHS House is legendary, and while we all miss the in-office massages, hair cuts and the abundance of free fruit, we’ve taken to our virtual world with gusto and bring the team together regularly for online socials!
We endeavour to support our people to make sure work….well, works for them. And the pretty big issue of the recent global pandemic has propelled us into working more flexibly than ever before. With the office closed until further notice (at least until government social distancing advice has changed), we’re using the lessons learnt over this period to evolve our approach to flexible working whilst ensuring we all still get together as one #teamnoths
Diversity and Inclusion
Everyone’s welcome at notonthehighstreet – whoever they are, wherever their background.
We endeavor to support our people to make sure work….well, works for them. And the pretty big issue of the recent global pandemic has propelled us into working more flexibly than ever before. With the office reopening in October (YAY!), we’re using the lessons learnt over this period to evolve our approach to flexible working, and we’ve introduced a 2:3 hybrid working week. So the NOTHS team get to work flexibly for the majority of the week and visit beautiful Richmond once or twice a week to ensure we all still get together as one #teamnoths. Plus, as of 2022 we’ll begin trialing fully remote months in January (to avoid the snow) and August (to enjoy the sun).
Apply to join #teamnoths
We’d love to hear more about you, your experience and why you’d like to join our team.
For now, our recruitment and induction processes are fully remote, taking advantage of the wonders of modern-day technology. If you are successful in your initial application we’ll explain more about next steps, as this can vary slightly from role to role. Good luck!