- Richmond, UK
- Date Posted
- Aug. 25, 2021
- Software Engineering
We are notonthehighstreet.
We’re home to 5,000 phenomenal small creative businesses that we are proud to call our Partners. But, now more than ever, this community needs our support. So we’re doing all we can to shine a light on these dynamic entrepreneurs, waving the flag for small businesses and generally championing their socks off.
On top of our brilliant Partners, products and customers (not to mention our incredible team who have been busy beavering away from home since March), the last 12 months has seen great progress with our tech platform and customer experience. We are now looking to build on this momentum to drive our business to the next level. And that’s where you come in.
As an Android Engineer, you’ll join our established Native Apps team building first-class native mobile experiences for our customers. You will collaborate with a team of talented Android and iOS engineers, product designers, analytics engineers and product and delivery managers who will work closely together to support our native apps. You will play a key role in driving best practices, sharing ideas, and further improving our app architecture, CI and processes so that we’re always moving forward.
- Some of the things you’ll be doing
- Writing, testing and maintaining quality testable code
- Working in Kotlin
- Working and collaborating with a small empowered cross-functional team comprising of Product Manager, Agile Delivery Manager, Product Designer, Analytics Engineer and iOS and Android Engineers to deliver business value
- Making a significant contribution to defining, maintaining and improving our app architecture and best practices
- Providing support for other team members through code review, pairing and mentoring
- Empowering the team by sharing learnings and new ideas
- Be part of our success and make a difference
- Some key skills and experience you’ll need...
- Current proven experience as a Android engineer
- Solid experience in developing with Kotlin, Android frameworks and Jetpack libraries
- Knowledge of Android Design Guidelines and Material Design
- Able to communicate complex technical issues and requirements in clear language to various audiences
- A passion for best practices and writing quality testable code and documentation
- Experience in testing methodologies, unit testing, functional testing, BDD, TDD
- Experience in FRP using RxJava and Coroutines
- Good understanding of memory management and concurrency
- Proficiency in using debugging tools to help solve complex problems
- Strong ability to problem solve is essential
- Solid understanding of MVP and MVVM design patterns
- Experience with using SCM specifically Git
- Experience in consuming RESTful APIs and working with JSON
...and some brownie points!
- Experience of working in an Agile/eCommerce environment
- A good knowledges of accessibility practices
- Experience in working with Jetpack Compose
- A keen interest in app architectures
- Experience of using GraphQL APIs
- Knowledge or experience of Swift/Apple frameworks
It’s important to us that our people are well looked after, which is why we offer everyone BUPA healthcare, life insurance and a pension plan. Because having a break is important for your physical and mental wellbeing, our holiday allowance is 25 days (plus bank holidays) AND your entitlement increases an extra day for every 2 years you spend with us.
The team spirit at NOTHS House is legendary, and while we all miss the in-office massages, hair cuts and the abundance of free fruit, we’ve taken to our virtual world with gusto and bring the team together regularly for socials and of course the odd Zoom quiz!
We endeavor to support our people to make sure work….well, works for them. And the pretty big issue of the recent global pandemic has propelled us into working more flexibly than ever before. With the office reopening in September (YAY!), we’re using the lessons learnt over this period to evolve our approach to flexible working, and we’ve introduced a hybrid working week. So the NOTHS team get to work flexibly for the majority of the week and visit beautiful Richmond once or twice a week to ensure we all still get together as one #teamnoths. Plus, as of 2022 we’ll begin trialing fully remote months in January (to avoid the snow) and August (to enjoy the sun).
Diversity and Inclusion
Everyone’s welcome at notonthehighstreet – whoever they are, wherever their background.
As part of your application you’ll be asked to complete a demographic survey to help us learn more about who wants to work with us. It’s completely optional (but really appreciated) and it’s 100% anonymous. We’ll only use the information to help us figure out how to make our team even more inclusive and attract more brilliant people to join us, with the help of our cross-team Diversity Champions to drive progress.
Apply to join #teamnoths
We’d love to hear more about you, your experience and why you’d like to join our team.
For now, our recruitment and induction processes are fully remote, taking advantage of the wonders of modern-day technology. If you are successful in your initial application we’ll explain more about next steps, as this can vary slightly from role to role. Good luck!