- United Kingdom
- Richmond, UK
- Date Posted
- May. 24, 2021
- Software Engineering
We are notonthehighstreet.
We’re home to 5,000 phenomenal small creative businesses that we are proud to call our Partners. But, now more than ever, this community needs our support. So we’re doing all we can to shine a light on these dynamic entrepreneurs, waving the flag for small businesses and generally championing their socks off.
On top of our brilliant Partners, products and customers (not to mention our incredible team who have been busy beavering away from home since March), the last 12 months has seen great progress with our tech platform and customer experience. We are now looking to build on this momentum to drive our business to the next level. And that’s where you come in.
What we need
We are now mid-way through building a new modern microservices architecture-based platform. Using cutting edge technologies and different languages (React, Next JS, GraphQL, AWS ECS, Lambdas, Java 11 and Swift for iOS to name a few), over the last 12 months we’ve launched new mobile first & native app checkouts and an Android app, delivered a new search function and replatformed a new modern basket service, and are now in the process of moving all of our services to AWS Elastic Container Service.
But there’s still lots to do. With a focus on learning, development, best practices, agile ways of working and team autonomy, we’re looking to grow our strong internal tech team even further. Which is where you come in…..
As Tech Lead you will take on technical leadership of one or more engineering teams ensuring we design and build great services and front end as well as take active part in coaching and developing our engineers.
- Some of the things you’ll be doing
- Oversee one or more cross-functional engineering teams to deliver great software for our customers and partners
- Provide technical leadership and ultimately act as the technical authority for key decisions
- Make sure that the tech is operationally ready and provide active support for high priority and complex production issues
- Monitor and manage technical debt, articulating necessary remedial work in a way that it can be prioritised against business facing features
- Help to shape the overall architecture and Tech strategy and make sure the teams understand it and what they develops fits right in
- Help to build and make sure the team has and follows good QA practices and takes full accountability for their testing including functional, performance, load and security testing (of course all automated)
- Help to build and implement secure by design principles as well as good security coding practices
- Work closely with our Product Management Team to deconstruct problem statements into technical solutions the team can build
- Help to drive the team to do the best possible job and strive for continuous improvement in productivity. Working with others keep the team inspired and motivated with a focus on delivering maximum value through the best available tech
- Provide technical and engineering coaching to the engineers in the team, participate in their career development as well as actively participate in and help to drive engineering recruitment across tech@NOTHS
- Hold themselves and others accountable for upholding tech@NOTHS and NOTHS values
- Some Key Skills + Experience You’ll Need - Essential skills
- An eagerness to work alongside product teams to find a healthy balance between tech and feature driven priorities
- A deep understanding of Java
- Experience deploying application stacks to AWS
- An understanding of distributed asynchronous architectures
- A solid understanding of CI/CD
- ...it also would be good if you have...
- Worked on a team that was fully invested into cloud native applications
- Used Jenkins
Extra brownie points
- You have previous experience leading a technical team
- You are keen to work at a more strategic planning level to prioritise important technical work against product work
- You are interested in being a hands-on technical contributor, with the understanding the the most important features will probably be delivered by other engineers
It’s important to us that our people are well looked after, which is why we offer everyone BUPA healthcare, life insurance and a pension plan. Because having a break is important for your physical and mental wellbeing, our holiday allowance is 25 days (plus bank holidays) AND your entitlement increases an extra day for every 2 years you spend with us.
The team spirit at NOTHS House is legendary, and while we all miss the in-office massages, hair cuts and the abundance of free fruit, we’ve taken to our virtual world with gusto and bring the team together regularly for socials and of course the odd Zoom quiz!
We endeavour to support our people to make sure work….well, works for them. And the pretty big issue of the recent global pandemic has propelled us into working more flexibly than ever before. With the office closed until further notice (at least until government social distancing advice has changed), we’re using the lessons learnt over this period to evolve our approach to flexible working whilst ensuring we all still get together as one #teamnoths
Diversity and Inclusion
Everyone’s welcome at notonthehighstreet – whoever they are, wherever their background.
As part of your application you’ll be asked to complete a demographic survey to help us learn more about who wants to work with us. It’s completely optional (but really appreciated) and it’s 100% anonymous. We’ll only use the information to help us figure out how to make our team even more inclusive and attract more brilliant people to join us, with the help of our cross-team Diversity Champions to drive progress.
Apply to join #teamnoths
We’d love to hear more about you, your experience and why you’d like to join our team.
For now, our recruitment and induction processes are fully remote, taking advantage of the wonders of modern-day technology. If you are successful in your initial application we’ll explain more about next steps, as this can vary slightly from role to role. Good luck!