- New York
- Date Posted
- Sep. 22, 2021
- Design & UI
- Business Applications
About the Role:
What if you had the chance to design something iconic? Imagine yourself in the 1970s or 80s thinking through how computers should look and feel for people who had never seen one before. That’s what we’re trying to do here at Notion — build software that feels timeless, with the craftsmanship of German cameras, playfulness of Japanese wooden toys, and mass appeal of Apple. In this role, we’re looking for someone who can think this way about the Notion brand itself. Someone who wants to help us explore new and different ways to bring a brand to life, whether that’s through visuals, writing, environments, or something we have yet to think of.
What You’ll Achieve:
- Join a small team of designers within marketing who shape everything from the website to social media to apparel, to Notion templates, to videos, and more.
- Craft every detail of branded projects, from initial idea through delivery. This could be the experience of a conference. A page on our website. A custom gift for our community members. A billboard in an airport. A new type of storytelling.
- Help lead and creatively direct external agencies and collaborators.
- Pitch in on the look and feel of projects going on across the org to bring a level of polish and a Notion-y lens to everything we ship.
- Get to know our users, employees, and candidates to help create experiences that will deepen their relationship with us and leave lasting, memorable impressions.
- Create systems and standards that will help folks across the org access and self-serve the materials they need to tell compelling stories and relay the brand in their everyday work.
- Devise new ways to introduce people to Notion and bring them into what our brand stands for, what they can expect from the product experience, and what it can mean for them.
Skills You’ll Need to Bring:
- Hands-on attitude. Willingness and ability to see your work through to production.
- 5+ years of design experience, preferably in a start-up environment.
- Someone willing to push beyond the customary. You’ve seen how brand is expressed at other companies and know how to step beyond traditional approaches.
- A strong portfolio showcasing work across a range of mediums.
- A critical mind and obsessive eye for detail.
- Excellent visual design and typographic skills.
- Mastery of visual communication. Someone who can blend both to tell stories that draw people in and inspire, but with clarity and simplicity.
- The ability to manage projects and be creative within the constraints of deadlines and teamwork. Someone who can give themselves the space to iterate, but knows when it’s time to nail things down and ship.
Nice to Haves:
- A passion for toolmaking and expanding access to technology.
- Practical experience with any of the following skills: animation / motion graphics, illustration, photography, coding, copywriting.
- Experience creating (or working with) brand style guides and standards.
- Hunger for feedback and rapid growth - a desire to review work, mentor others, and co-create with partners from different background and expertises.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Notion.
Notion is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Notion considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Notion is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation made due to a disability, please let your recruiter know.