- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Sep. 22, 2021
- Business Applications
About The Role:
You’ll build and manage a team of engineers working on Notion’s backend infrastructure—this includes (but is not limited to) core functionality, scaling, reliability, and performance.
What You’ll Achieve:
- You’ll develop a solid mental model of the product and its future direction, and work cross-functionally to guide architectural investments for current and emerging business needs.
- You’ll recruit, coach, and develop engineers; you’ll ensure engineers are regularly receiving feedback and that they are making rapid progress on personal and professional goals.
- You’ll facilitate planning—the prioritization, sequencing, and staffing of work—for your team.
- You’ll be responsible for maintaining a high quality bar for everything your team supports.
- You’ll work with others to shape how Notion’s engineering organization operates—you’ll help develop our technical practices, recruiting and onboarding strategy, planning and prioritization process, and more.
Skills You’ll Need to Bring:
- You have lead or managed infrastructure-focused engineering teams, particularly ones that own a wide swath of hosted infrastructure (like AWS) and work closely with product teams.
- You’ve experienced the challenges of scaling and re-architecting infrastructure through orders of magnitude of growth.
- You have a sufficiently deep background in infrastructure and technology that you can ask the right questions of your team, balance technology and people concerns, and make hard tradeoffs.
- You have built, or are committed to building, diverse and inclusive teams; you value empathetic and direct communication and foster environments that are at once collaborative, empowering, supportive, and challenging—ones where people do their best work.
Nice to Haves:
- You have lead or managed engineering teams at startups before, particularly during periods of rapid growth and organizational change.
- You have experience cultivating engineering practices and processes—e.g., code review, incident management, continuous deployment—where they didn’t exist or scale before.
- You’ve lead or managed teams that are partially (or entirely) remote.
- You’ve heard of computing pioneers like Ada Lovelace, Douglas Engelbart, Alan Kay, and others—and understand why we’re big fans of their work.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Notion.
Notion is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Notion considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Notion is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please let your recruiter know.