- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jun. 6, 2021
- Software Engineering
- Business Applications
We make software that anyone can mold and shape to take on every challenge — from taking personal notes to running large companies. Usually based in the Mission neighborhood of San Francisco, we’ve been building together since 2016 and are trusted by customers including Nike, Airbnb, Slack, Samsung, and more. We’re excited to be growing a team as diverse and creative as the millions of people we reach worldwide, and a company where everyone can thrive.
About The Role:
You’ll build and manage a team of engineers working on Notion’s Data Platform. This platform will enable interactive analytics, data pipelines, machine learning model serving, and data sharing (from ingestion to creation of single source of truth) and will aim to empower every team at Notion to drive their decisions using data.
What You’ll Do:
- You’ll determine where—and how—we collect data throughout Notion’s product.
- You’ll work with teams across the company to guide architectural investments for current and emerging business needs. These teams include engineering and data science, but also sales, marketing, customer experience, finance, and much more.
- You’ll recruit, coach, and develop engineers; you’ll ensure engineers are regularly receiving feedback and that they are making rapid progress on personal and professional goals.
- You’ll facilitate planning—the prioritization, sequencing, and staffing of work—for your team.
- You’ll be responsible for maintaining a high quality bar for everything your team supports.
- You’ll work with others to shape how Notion’s engineering organization operates—you’ll help develop our technical practices, recruiting and onboarding strategy, planning and prioritization process, and more.
What We’re Looking For:
- You have lead or managed data or infrastructure-focused engineering teams, particularly ones that own a wide swath of software platforms (hosted or built in-house).
- You’ve experienced the challenges of scaling and re-architecting data platforms and infrastructure through orders of magnitude of growth.
- You have a deep background with big data compute, storage, and best practices that you can ask the right questions of your team, balance technology and people concerns, and make hard tradeoffs.
- You have built, or are committed to building, diverse and inclusive teams; you value empathetic and direct communication and foster environments that are at once collaborative, empowering, supportive, and challenging—ones where people do their best work.
- You have lead or managed engineering teams at startups before, particularly during periods of rapid growth and organizational change.
- You have experience cultivating engineering practices and processes—e.g., code review, incident management, continuous deployment—where they didn’t exist or scale before.
- You’ve heard of computing pioneers like Ada Lovelace, Douglas Engelbart, Alan Kay, and others—and understand why we’re big fans of their work.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Notion.
Notion is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Notion considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Notion is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please let your recruiter know.