- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jun. 6, 2021
- Software Engineering
- Business Applications
We make software that anyone can mold and shape to take on every challenge — from taking personal notes to running large companies. We’ve been building together since 2016 and are trusted by customers including Nike, Airbnb, Slack, Samsung, and more. We’re excited to be growing a team as diverse and creative as the millions of people we reach worldwide, and a company where everyone can thrive.
About The Role:
Millions of people use Notion — and this number is increasing every day. That means a million people trust us to deliver a fast, reliable, and secure experience, and we value this more than anything. We want to keep earning trust, while also continuing to amaze our users with the tools they can build in Notion. This is where you come in — to help us forge a performant and reliable path forward to the future.
What You’ll Do:
- You’ll help scale Notion as a best-in-class service for our millions of users and teams who rely on us every day.
- You’ll work with the team to build new product features, focusing on the backend. For example, you might implement the backend of a new permission model for documents.
- You’ll improve the performance and reliability of our backend and infrastructure, like our databases and the system that synchronizes user edits.
- You’ll work with our security team to build improvements that help keep Notion secure.
What We’re Looking For:
- Thoughtful problem-solving: For you, problem-solving starts with a clear and accurate understanding of the context. You can decompose tricky problems and work towards a clean solution, by yourself or with teammates. You’re comfortable asking for help when you get stuck.
- Ability to scale: You have experience scaling production software to support rapid growth, or you’re motivated and excited to learn.
- Pragmatic and business-oriented: You care about business impact and prioritize projects accordingly. You’re not just going after cool stuff—you understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line.
- Put users first: You think critically about the implications of what you’re building, and how it shapes real people’s lives. You understand that reach comes with responsibility for our impact—good and bad.
- Not ideological about technology: To you, technologies and programming languages are about tradeoffs. You may be opinionated, but you’re not ideological and can learn new technologies as you go.
- Empathetic communication: You communicate nuanced ideas clearly, whether you’re explaining technical decisions in writing or brainstorming in real time. In disagreements, you engage thoughtfully with other perspectives and compromise when needed.
- Team player: For you, work isn’t a solo endeavor. You enjoy collaborating cross-functionally to accomplish shared goals, and you care about learning, growing, and helping others to do the same.
- You have experience working with distributed systems.
- You’re proficient with any part of our technology stack: React, TypeScript, Node.js, Memcached, Postgres, Docker, and Elasticsearch.
- You’ve heard of computing pioneers like Ada Lovelace, Douglas Engelbart, Alan Kay, and others—and understand why we’re big fans of their work.
- You have interests outside of technology, such as in art, history, or social sciences.