- Date Posted
- Nov. 3, 2021
- Data Science
At Otrium, we don’t blindly fall in love with ideas, we listen to what the data tells us. As a Lead Data Engineer at Otrium, you will play a key role in ensuring that every decision at Otrium is driven by data. You will be a part of the growing Business Intelligence team and work on maintaining & elevating the data warehouse, building big data ETL pipelines, creating dashboards and answering complex questions about our customers and our business.
About this role
As a Lead Data Engineer at Otrium, you will play a key role in ensuring that every decision at Otrium is driven by data. You will be a part of the growing Business Intelligence team and lead a team of data engineers to build big data ETL pipelines and improve the data warehouse to meet the demanding data needs of Otrium to enable answering complex questions about our customers and our business.
Please note: Due to the urgency of this role, we’re currently interviewing only candidates that are already located in The Netherlands.
- Manage a team of 4-6 Data Engineers directly, conduct performance cycles, train & mentor them through continuous feedback
- Work closely with the Head of BI, data analytics teams and other business stakeholders to define the roadmap & long-term strategy for the data function as a whole
- You will build and optimize ‘big data’ ETL pipelines in Spark - consolidate data relating to the business from disparate sources, collaborate with teams to integrate more data sources
- You will ensure that company-wide reporting & department-specific reporting is available in a timely manner
- You will identify & resolve technical, performance and data issues with the DWH together with our data analysts
- You will implement Looker models, create dashboards with actionable insights and facilitate self-service BI
- The BI team’s technology stack –Redshift, Spark, Looker, R/Python
Experience, knowledge & skills
- 7+ years of professional experience in a Data Engineering role of which 3+ years in a leadership role, both in a fast-paced and dynamic business setting
- You have a hands-on technical leadership style to fully understand and support the Data Engineering function within BI
- Profound understanding of databases (relational, column-based, NoSQL), DWH design, SQL querying and optimization
- Experience with big data tools and writing code for big data ETL pipelines using Spark/Scala/Hadoop
- Dash-boarding & storytelling skills (experience in Looker would be an advantage)
- Working knowledge of scalable BI&A infrastructure, APIs, workflow management tools, message queuing, stream processing, and ‘big data’ data stores
- Bonus points for relevant industry knowledge (marketing, pricing, strategy, supply chain, etc.)
- Bonus points if you have successfully completed a relevant Master’s degree with a strong quantitative orientation (e.g., business, economics, tech, data, econometrics, mathematics, physics)
- You possess strong quantitative & problem solving skills
- You are solutions-oriented, a self-starter and have an eye for detail
- You have exceptional organisational & stakeholder management skills
- You are a quick learner, motivated and enjoy working with new technologies
- You are able to and enjoy working in a fast-paced, dynamic and international team environment
- You have excellent communication skills in English (written and verbal) and are able to effectively communicate technical subject matter to technical & business stakeholders
- You possess an entrepreneurial mindset
- Our recruiter will contact you to find out if you’re the right fit for the role
- Introductory talk with the hiring manager focused on the technical & team fit
- A technical assignment to test your technical expertise
- Final round where you’ll meet the rest of the team and be challenged on your submission
Founded and headquartered in Amsterdam, we’re a purpose-led business – we believe all clothing should be worn.
Right now, lots of fashion stays unsold. For the resources that went in and for the people who miss out, it’s such a shame. We’re here to fix this. We are an online fashion outlet marketplace and we tech-enable designer brands to find an owner for every item they produce.
We give brands an online outlet channel and digital tools to smartly connect dynamically-priced end-of-season collections with fashion-lovers. Then we give them the data so they can reproduce most-wanted items.
Our app re-imagines outlet shopping helping customers easily find reduced-price gems. We give end-of-season fashion a new start, which is smarter for the wardrobe, smarter for the wallet and smarter for the industry.
- What it’s like to work at Otrium
- You will be part of an enthusiastic and highly ambitious team with a growth and entrepreneurial mindset;
- The possibility to learn, grow, and contribute to one of the fastest-growing startups in Europe, and soon the US (with your help!);
- Freedom and responsibility: we believe in ownership, so we will give you full responsibility to make sure you can get the job done;
- You’ll be working with very talented colleagues - in a different time zone - that know what they are doing as everyone has experience at other amazing fast-growing companies;
- Next to working together, we celebrate our success together. With every target we make and record we break, we celebrate!
- Excited about what you’re reading? Let us know more about who you are and why we should work together! Apply now!
- We look forward to hearing from you!