- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Oct. 7, 2021
- Business Intelligence
Do you believe that creators should have the ability to get paid for the value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we’re building Patreon, a platform that powers membership services for creators with established followings. Patreon strives to provide creators with insight, education, and tools that make it possible to retain creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus on creating and energizing their fanbases.
We have payed out over $500 million directly to creators on our platform this year alone, and our user base has doubled. In order to support this level of growth, we are looking for a Senior BI Engineer.
What you will do:
- Advance data reporting, data validation and data integrity at Patreon.
- Own strategy for our business intelligence stack. Evaluate, select, and leverage tools and technologies to fit Patreon’s business needs. Partner with internal teams and external vendors to develop and continuously grow our business intelligence capabilities.
- Lead improvements to the development and deployment of key company metrics through robust and stable data pipelines and world-class reporting infrastructure.
- Advocate for technical best practices on pipelines, dashboards, code review practices, and data concepts. Provide technical expertise in extracting, integrating, and analyzing critical data.
- In partnership with the data science team and cross-functional stakeholders, advise on metric identification and definition. Assist with data sourcing, storage, automation, and visualization.
- Build a culture of data-driven decision making, including defining and shaping self-service analytics at Patreon.
- Manage multiple projects and proactively communicate issues, priorities, and objectives.
Skills and experience you possess:
- You have 6+ years of experience in business intelligence, data engineering, data science, data analytics, or related quantitative functions
- You have 6+ years of experience in creating business intelligence work flows and systems, designing business and performance metrics, and implementing innovative data driven solutions
- You are an expert on the business intelligence stack and familiar with multiple business intelligence tools such as Tableau, Looker, Mode, etc.
- You are an expert on relational databases including SQL queries and schema design
- You are proficient with Airflow or a similar ETL/pipeline tool and have experience writing and maintaining extract, transform, and load scripts (ETLs)
- You are familiar with Python or a similar scripting language
- You bias towards standardization and automation in your analytics practice
- You have solid analytical thinking--you ask the right questions and can frame data correctly
- You can crisply communicate complicated information using charts and dashboards
- You are an expert communicator with a love for clarity
Projects you may work on:
- Design processes and systems for ensuring data integrity in key metrics throughout the company, potentially by introducing a metrics layer in our data stack
- Manage the transition of many of our business intelligence tools from Tableau to Mode
- Deprecate or refine existing underused tools in our business intelligence stack
- Define a centralized process for creating new dashboards and data tools
- Own data used in our financial forecasting and reporting, ensuring its accuracy and providing our finance team with world class tools to access this data
- Ensure our data visualization practices, including those leveraged in investor and board reporting, internal presentations, and in the product, are world class
What you will have the chance to learn:
- Learn about the requirements and intricacies of business intelligence at a late-stage startup
- Learn how to define business intelligence best practices for a growing team of data scientists
- Advance your skills in Python, data infrastructure, and Airflow
- Learn from an energetic data team and data-minded cross-functional partners, all of whom are full of passion for our product and our mission
Who You’ll Work With:
At Patreon, you’ll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, and rewarding.
Our Core Behaviors:
- Put Creators First. Patreon is nothing without our creators.
- Achieve Ambitious Outcomes. Set, measure, and accomplish goals that deliver massive value to our creators and patrons.
- Cultivate Inclusion. We want an environment that retains and engages the diverse teams we build.
- Bias Towards Action. When in doubt, we take the next best step, then course correct when needed. We go out of our way to fix problems when we see them. We take ownership seriously.
- Be Candid and Kind. Be extremely caring and extremely direct in all you do at Patreon, especially when it comes to giving positive and constructive feedback.
- Be Curious. You don’t know it all, and that’s the fun part. Everything gets better when you’re curious. Things get more interesting, more clear, and more approachable. When you bring curiosity into the workplace, you’re growing yourself, your teammates, and Patreon as a whole.
- Want to Learn More About Patreon?
- Check out TechCrunch’s article about our focus on membership
- Listen to our CEO Jack and Co-Founder Sam chat with Guy Raz on NPR’s How I Built This
- Check to see if you know a Patreon teammate on LinkedIn