- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Oct. 7, 2021
- Design & UI
Do you believe that creators should get paid for the value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we’re building Patreon, a platform that powers exclusive content and community experiences for creators with established followings. Patreon provides creators with the insight, education, and tools that make it possible to retain creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus on creating and energizing their fanbases.
Our user base has doubled in the last year alone and we have paid over $2 billion directly to creators on our platform. In order to support this level of growth, Patreon is looking for a Director of UX Research.
You will bring a mix of strong management experience, deep understanding of diverse research methodologies, skill with large data sets, and a track record of translating insights into material business impact. You’ll balance a rigorous user-centric perspective with the ability to uncover powerful insights, drive outcomes, and influence the org to move the product forward in a fast-paced, agile environment. You will foster cross-functional and cross-team collaboration and consistency by working closely with product managers, product designers, and data scientists to shape the vision for Patreon and achieve broad buy-in on direction. You will champion rigor, speed, clarity, and the ability to uncover what truly drives creators and patrons in support of a mission that aims to do nothing short of fundamentally changing the creative economy for the better.
What you will do:
- Lead a UX Research team to uncover the insights that will drive a best-in-class fan, patron, and creator experience that fundamentally. changes the creative economy for the better.
- Hire, manage, coach, and develop an exceptional team of UX Researchers.
- Own the end-to-end research process of the team, ensuring ethical practices and on-time, detailed, and polished deliverables.
- Report to the VP of Product and partner with Product, Product Design, Engineering, Data Science, People, and GTM Leadership to define the most important research questions, develop a clear POV on key insights, and use those insights to drive business objectives.
- Look around corners, see patterns, and connect dots to contribute to a broader vision for Patreon’s future.
- Influence strategy and align the organization by clearly and confidently presenting complex concepts to senior management and the broader organization, helping to sustain an informed and empathetic organization.
- Ability to roll up sleeves and directly conduct research as needed, applying the right approach for the job at hand.
- Scale research beyond the UX research team, helping teams learn how to effectively conduct their own studies to gain insights as needed.
Skills and experience you possess:
- Experience leading complicated research studies with large data sets and numerous dependencies.
- Well demonstrated ability to ruthlessly prioritize and build processes that scale.
- Track record of hiring and developing talented UX Researchers to achieve their best performance.
- Thrives in an ambiguous, scaling, iterative design and development culture.
- Detail-oriented while seeing the big picture: insights are beyond reproach and galvanize the organization.
- Ability to foster a data and research-driven culture in support of a fast-paced, holistic approach to product development.
Who You’ll Work With:
At Patreon, you’ll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, and rewarding.
Our Core Behaviors:
- Put Creators First. Patreon is nothing without our creators.
- Achieve Ambitious Outcomes. Set, measure, and accomplish goals that deliver massive value to our creators and patrons.
- Cultivate Inclusion. We want an environment that retains and engages the diverse teams we build.
- Bias Towards Action. When in doubt, we take the next best step, then course correct when needed. We go out of our way to fix problems when we see them. We take ownership seriously.
- Be Candid and Kind. Be extremely caring and extremely direct in all you do at Patreon, especially when it comes to giving positive and constructive feedback.
- Be Curious. You don’t know it all, and that’s the fun part. Everything gets better when you’re curious. Things get more interesting, more clear, and more approachable. When you bring curiosity into the workplace, you’re growing yourself, your teammates, and Patreon as a whole.
- Want to Learn More About Patreon?
- Check out TechCrunch’s article about our focus on membership
- Listen to our CEO Jack and Co-Founder Sam chat with Guy Raz on NPR’s How I Built This
- Check to see if you know a Patreon teammate on LinkedIn