- New York
- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Aug. 31, 2021
Do you believe that creators should have the ability to get paid for the value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we’re building Patreon, a platform that powers membership services for creators with established followings. Patreon strives to provide creators with insight, education, and tools that make it possible to retain creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus on creating and energizing their fanbases.
Our user base has doubled in the last year alone, and we have paid over $2 billion directly to creators on our platform. In order to support this level of growth, Patreon is looking for a Senior Site Reliability Engineer.
What you will do:
- Create and administer infrastructure -- cloud services, hosts, monitoring tools -- for highly reliable and scalable web applications and data stores.
- Build automated tooling to configure and maintain our systems and services.
- Identify and solve issues in our stack.
- Work closely with your peers in security and engineering.
- Train and mentor your colleagues.
- Vet new technologies to support our operational needs and improve the working lives of your co-workers.
- Participate in an on-call rotation ~1 week per month.`
Skills and experience you possess:
- You have experience in DevOps, Site Reliability, or backend/infrastructure engineering for a company experiencing fast-paced growth.
- You are knowledgeable in configuration management with a framework such as Ansible, Chef, or Puppet.
- You understand the ins and outs of AWS, Linux, and MySQL well enough to teach others how to use them, and can comfortably operate all of them from the CLI.
- You are proficient with a programming language like Python or Ruby, and with shell scripting.
- Your documentation and verbal communication skills are excellent, and you’re able to collaborate and rally support with people on and off your team.
- You are inclined to automate, but can discern when automation isn’t the best solution and present alternatives.
- You’ve worked with continuous integration and deployment systems, and have ideas about how to build and improve those systems.
- You strongly believe in the importance of security, and enjoy the idea of partnering with the security team to ensure the integrity of our customers’ data.
- You have productive habits, healthy process awareness, and good teamwork skills and instincts.
Projects you may work on:
- Stress test our stack to find cracks in the system and help us scale.
- Design an entirely new way to deploy Patreon’s code.
- Build tools that address engineering challenges and empower people throughout the organization.
- Guide the team in the best way to use configuration management to grow and administer our fleet.
- Introduce a cutting edge tool or service that pushes our core tech stack forward and improves the reliability and stability of our site.
Impact you will have:
- You’ll help Patreon scale the foundation of a platform that helps creators pay rent and enables higher levels of creativity.
- You’ll establish a standard of high availability and reliability for Patreon’s production systems.
- You’ll influence the direction of our technical roadmap.
Who you’ll work with:
You’ll join a fast-moving and thoughtful team, many of whom are often creators themselves, full of passion for our product, and pride in the work they do both inside and outside of Patreon.