- Date Posted
- Jun. 16, 2021
Do you believe that creators should have the ability to get paid for the value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we’re building Patreon, a platform that powers membership services for creators with established followings. Patreon strives to provide creators with insight, education, and tools that make it possible to retain creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus on creating and energising their fanbases.
Patreon, a $4 Billion Series F startup, is sparking a creator revolution to help creators get paid on a recurring basis. It is also creating a new economy of empowered artists. Patreon has landed on numerous award lists, including CNBC’s 2021 Top 50 Disruptors, Fast Company’s 2019 Most Innovative Companies and Forbes’ 2019 Next Billion Dollar Startup. As we expand, we are looking for the best and brightest to join us.
We are seeking a smart, self-starting, and dynamic generalist lawyer in our Dublin, Ireland office, who will report to our Deputy General Counsel for payments, privacy, product, and internationalisation, to lead Patreon’s legal activities in Europe.
The Patreon Legal team’s mission is to build the best legal team anyone has worked with by helping other teams achieve their goals while ensuring Patreon’s long-term independence and sustainability. Our work culture is highly autonomous and impactful. We believe that hiring smart, ambitious, humble, emotionally intelligent, and empathetic people, and giving them strong ownership of their work, leads to the best results.
What you will do as EU Lead Counsel:
- Work closely with the US and EU legal, policy, and compliance teams to help address legal and business issues that arise in our European locations
- Work with our European teams and entities on general and commercial EU legal matters as we internationalise
- Serve as a local point of contact for all legal matters that arise in our EU jurisdictions which are currently in Ireland, Germany, and Portugal.
- Have a strong grasp on a broad range of product and commercial issues and translate them into business solutions
- Have some knowledge of EU privacy, marketing, and employment laws
- Collaborate with the finance, tax, and accounting teams as well as legal, policy, and compliance on matters related to international expansion
- While initially serving as an individual contributor, you would help hire and build out a team over time to expand this work as Patreon continues to grow
Skills and experience you possess:
- 8+ years (or more, or many more) of relevant legal experience as an EU lawyer
- Some experience working in-house or working with in-house clientele
- Knowledge of general EU commercial and consumer laws
- Ability to manage complex projects across multiple teams and stakeholders
- Required to be Licensed as an EU lawyer in one of the EU jurisdictions
- Passion for and interest in Patreon and our mission
- Ability to form trusted relationships with your colleagues on the legal team, and with product, engineering, and design teams
- Humility, leadership, and the drive and passion to perfect your craft as a lawyer
Additional Skills or Criteria that are a Bonus:
Speaking a European language fluently
Our Core Behaviours:
- Put Creators First. Patreon is nothing without our creators.
- Achieve Ambitious Outcomes. Set, measure, and accomplish goals that deliver massive value to our creators and patrons.
- Cultivate Inclusion. We want an environment that retains and engages the diverse teams we build.
- Bias Towards Action. When in doubt, we take the next best step, then course correct when needed. We go out of our way to fix problems when we see them. We take ownership seriously.
- Be Candid and Kind. Be extremely caring and extremely direct in all you do at Patreon, especially when it comes to giving positive and constructive feedback.
- Be Curious. You don’t know it all, and that’s the fun part. Everything gets better when you’re curious. Things get more interesting, more clear, and more approachable. When you bring curiosity into the workplace, you’re growing yourself, your teammates, and Patreon as a whole.
- Want to learn more about Patreon?
- Check out our reviews on Glassdoor
- Check to see if you know a Patreon teammate on LinkedIn
Patreon aspires to be among the tech industry’s most inclusive work environments. Not only is it the right thing to do, but pursuing diversity of perspectives helps us build for our diverse community of creators and patrons. To learn how we're working towards this, please click here. If you identify with a traditionally underrepresented group of individuals in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply!