- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jul. 7, 2021
Do you believe that creators should have the ability to get paid for the value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we’re building Patreon, a platform that powers membership services for creators with established followings. Patreon provides creators with insight, education, and tools to retain creative control while helping creators run their business, so creators can focus on creating and energizing their fanbases.
Our user base has doubled in the last year alone, and we have paid over $2 billion directly to creators on our platform. In order to support this level of growth, Patreon is looking for a Senior Commercial Counsel to help us launch established creators and own our contract review process.
The Patreon Legal team’s mission is to build the best legal team anyone has worked with by helping other teams achieve their goals while ensuring Patreon’s long-term independence and sustainability. Our work culture is highly autonomous and impactful. We believe that hiring smart, ambitious and empathetic people and giving them strong ownership of their work leads to the best results.
What you will do:
- Reporting to the Deputy General Counsel, the Senior Commercial Counsel will own all commercial legal matters.
- Work closely with our creator partnerships team to help us launch established creators.
- Review inbound agreements and create guidelines for our contract review process that can be used across the legal team.
- Identify opportunities for templatization or other self help workflows to streamline contracting across the company.
- Ensure contracts are reviewed in a timely manner.
- Work closely with our legal operations, finance, IT and procurement teams to ensure the overall contract review process is efficient.
Skills and experience you possess:
- 8+ years of experience in commercial roles at a firm or in-house.
- Experience in the entertainment industry negotiating contracts for talent.
- Broad commercial experience is helpful, especially supporting marketing, business development and procurement teams at a company.
- Experience negotiating a wide variety of agreements, including SaaS agreements, Licensing Agreements, MSAs, NDAs, Agency Agreements.
- Care deeply about legal being a value add that supports business teams in negotiations.
- Own a copy of “A Manual of Style for Contract Drafting” by Ken Adams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to effectively communicate across departments and at all levels.
- Strong work ethic and ability to be productive and successful in a fast-paced work environment.
- Passion for and interest in Patreon and our mission.