- Date Posted
- Sep. 29, 2021
- Product Engineering
The Second Renaissance is Here. Come Join Us.
Our mission has always been to enable creators to do what they love and get paid by the people who love them. Today, there are over 200,000 creators sharing their work on Patreon, earning over $100M per month from more than 7 million patrons across the world. We’re incredibly humbled by the opportunity to help so many creators pursue their dreams and build passionate communities around them. And we’re just getting started.
To kick our mission into high gear, we’ve recently raised a Series F funding round of $155M at a $4B valuation. That’s over three times bigger than where we were just six months ago! This is proof of the incredible power and potential of creators, and of building this explosive economy. We’ve been funding the creative class since 2013 and have raised a total of $410M from the following investors: Index Ventures, Thrive Capital, NEA, Lone Pine Capital, Glade Blook, Tiger Global Management, Woodline Partners, CRV and Wellington.
To learn more about our origin story, check out Guz Raz’s How I Built This with Patreon co-founders, Jack Conte and Sam Yam.
Our goal is to transform the Patreon brand to power the growing dreams of our creators, large and small. Last year we expanded to Europe and opened our Berlin office. To help accelerate growth in the European market Patreon is looking for an experienced EU Community Programmes Manager to launch our Community & Education initiatives across Europe and build the future team.
The person in this role has a passion for making connections- between people, ideas, and resources- in a way that strengthens personal bonds and elevates experiences. This person centers empathy, empowerment, and collaboration in all aspects of their work, creating and supporting programs that bring Patreon’s community and internal teams together to help independent creatives feel supported while they navigate what it means to learn, grow, and succeed on their own terms.
What you’ll do:
- Bring life- and career-changing, trust-building peer-to-peer learning, connection and support, and collaboration and inspiration to creators at scale in order to help them launch, stay, and grow on Patreon
- Define the community program(s) strategy including mission, business goals, audience, and incentives in partnership with our global Community & Education team
- Design online & in-person programs
- Evolve and lead CAP (Creator Ambassador Program)
- Localize our current community programs and set them up for scalable success, e.g., creator-led programs
- Work closely with many teams across Patreon (incl. Product, Education, Brand Marketing) to create program content, recognize members, and streamline programs across all areas of the creator experience
- Leverage programs to develop evergreen content, community stories, and community insights to be used cross functionally
- Manage official online community spaces for Patreon creators (currently, a Discourse forum and Discord server), ensuring conversations and connections flow, questions are answered, and topics or requests are escalated when relevant; embody Patreon’s voice and culture in all interactions
- Advocate for Patreon creators in internal conversations & facilitate participation of Patreon teammates in community spaces
- Identify and monitor actionable community health and impact metrics, make strategic decisions and plan experiments accordingly, and create reports that you will present to other teams
- Tie program engagement and impact to key business metrics and provide regular reports on the effectiveness and status of the program(s)
- Develop budgets and resourcing plans for the programs.
- 6+ years experience managing or moderating large communities online (e.g. Reddit, Discord, Slack, Discourse) and offline
- Excellent written, verbal, & interpersonal communication skills in English and either German, French, Italian or Spanish.
- Passion for community and relationship building
- Superfan of creator and internet culture in Europe and beyond
- Direct experience as a creator is a delightful nice-to-have
- Enjoys thinking both creatively and strategically
- Experience training and leading community moderators and/or volunteers
- Team management experience is a plus
- Empathetic connector and keen listener
- Experience and comfort working cross-functionally
- Comfort hosting virtual or in-person events
- Proven ability to manage multiple concurrent projects, prioritize effectively, manage competing and regularly changing priorities, and consistently meet deadlines with minimal oversight
- Familiarity with facilitating open and sometimes difficult conversations with a positive, solutions-oriented outlook.
In your first three months, you’ll be focused on:
- Gathering insights about our creator community in the UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain and get acquainted with our existing community programs
- Take the learnings from CAP in Europe and develop a 2.0 Program to roll out in Q4
- In partnership with the HQ Community & Education team, build a 2022 strategy and goals start preparing the roll out of these initiatives (incl. budget requirements, timing, staffing)
- Get into dialogue with our EU community on Discord and the forum to learn about their needs and ideas.
How you’ll grow
- Grow your management skills by building your own team as the program’s impact and influence grows. Organizing and motivating a team of volunteer community moderators and collaborators
- Empowering leaders to support the creator community at-large
- Scaling and localizing community programs to a European audience
- Driving cross-functional collaboration in a global company experiencing exciting growth.
- Get a deep understanding of creators who work across all mediums and topics. Learn what motivates them, what connects them, and how they build successful careers
- Get hands-on experience building and scaling a creator community at a fast-growing, mission-driven company
- Learn from other highly collaborative, cross-functional peers of all seniority levels on a variety of teams (i.e. product, marketing, policy, research, data science, and more).
You’ll love working here if
- You care about getting artists and creators paid
- You work best in a highly collaborative environment
- You’re result-driven in your decision-making
- You strive to improve marketing excellence and creativity
- You want to work with teammates who excel at their jobs and have artistic talents
- You are committed to challenging the status quo and make sure our culture at Patreon is among the most diverse and inclusive places to work
Who You’ll Work With:
At Patreon, you’ll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, and rewarding.
Our Core Behaviors:
- Put Creators First. Patreon is nothing without our creators.
- Achieve Ambitious Outcomes. Set, measure, and accomplish goals that deliver massive value to our creators and patrons.
- Cultivate Inclusion. We want an environment that retains and engages the diverse teams we build.
- Bias Towards Action. When in doubt, we take the next best step, then course correct when needed. We go out of our way to fix problems when we see them. We take ownership seriously.
- Be Candid and Kind. Be extremely caring and extremely direct in all you do at Patreon, especially when it comes to giving positive and constructive feedback.
- Be Curious. You don’t know it all, and that’s the fun part. Everything gets better when you’re curious. Things get more interesting, more clear, and more approachable. When you bring curiosity into the workplace, you’re growing yourself, your teammates, and Patreon as a whole.
- Want to Learn More About Patreon?
- Check out TechCrunch’s article about our focus on membership
- Listen to our CEO Jack and Co-Founder Sam chat with Guy Raz on NPR’s How I Built This
- Check to see if you know a Patreon teammate on LinkedIn