- San Francisco
- Los Angeles
- Date Posted
- Oct. 7, 2021
- Professional Services
Do you believe that creators should get paid for the value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we’re building Patreon, a platform that powers exclusive content and community experiences for creators with established followings. Patreon provides creators with the insight, education, and tools that make it possible to retain creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus on creating and energizing their fanbases.
Our user base has doubled in the last year alone, and we have paid over $2 billion directly to creators on our platform. In order to support this level of growth, Patreon is looking for a Head of Education to join our Creator Success team.
This person will build Patreon’s suite of education resources and experiences, offering creators support, inspiration, and belonging while speeding up the pace of creators’ personal and business growth.
The ideal candidate for this role is equal parts creative and data-driven with experience designing and implementing multi-channel, in-person and virtual learning programs and content; managing and leading employees and agencies or contractors; working directly with the creative community; and building cross-functional and external partnerships. It’s critical for Patreon’s Head of Education to understand the needs of and challenges faced by creators today, as well as to approach learning in an innovative way.
This role can be based in Los Angeles, New York City or San Francisco.
What you will do:
- Meet creators where they are -- from offline events to new content franchises, you’ll experiment with accessible, relevant ways to reach creators with our education offerings wherever and whenever creators need them
- Recognize creators aren’t one-size-fits-all -- you’ll build an education program that allows creators to design and track their own learning journeys, from one-off materials to in-depth courses and certificates
- Build the go-to resource and community for learning about creative entrepreneurship -- a home to influential and up-and-coming creators, as well as subject matter experts in the creative space, where anyone building an independent creative career can learn, share their knowledge, and feel less alone on that journey
- Advocate for creator education -- within the creative community and among our peers spanning industries, from TED, to Red Bull Music Academy, Salesforce, Brandcenter @ VCU, Esalen, and more`
Skills and experience you possess:
- 7+ years relevant professional experience
- Have worked directly with and are a personal fan (or member!) of the creator community and economy
- Leveraged insights and data to build an informed strategy
- Developed budgets and resourcing plans for content production
- Have designed & facilitated in-person and online, multi-channel learning programs/curriculums
- Have hired and led full-time and contract employees (bonus: agency management)
- Have worked on innovation in education/the future of learning
- Led cross-functional collaboration and external partnerships
- Worked on innovative learning design
- Excellent written, verbal, & interpersonal communication skills
- Have scaled initiatives globally
- Proven ability to manage multiple concurrent projects, prioritize effectively, manage competing and regularly changing priorities, and consistently meet deadlines with minimal oversight
- Capable of working effectively both independently and as part of a team
Projects you may work on:
- Build Patreon’s Education team from scratch, including full-time and contract writers and instructors (including creators)
- Work cross-functionally to design, build, and launch a learning hub for creators on and off Patreon
- Plan a TED-sized learning event and/or learning tracks at Patreon’s annual Creatorfest
- Partner with other brands and institutions to co-create learning programs and content
- Design a creative entrepreneurship certification or degree path for creators
- Train creators to teach creative business building
- Partner with other Patreon teams (e.g., Social, Blog) on satellite educational content for their channels
You’ll love working here if:
- You care about getting artists and creators paid
- You work best in a highly collaborative environment
- You strive to improve existing processes
- You want to work with teammates who excel at their jobs and have artistic talents
- You are committed to challenging the status quo and making sure Patreon is among the most diverse and inclusive places to work
- You get energy from solving for the most pressing issues facing creators today, and helping them navigate an ever-changing creative economy
Who You’ll Work With:
At Patreon, you’ll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, and rewarding.
Our Core Behaviors:
- Put Creators First. Patreon is nothing without our creators.
- Achieve Ambitious Outcomes. Set, measure, and accomplish goals that deliver massive value to our creators and patrons.
- Cultivate Inclusion. We want an environment that retains and engages the diverse teams we build.
- Bias Towards Action. When in doubt, we take the next best step, then course correct when needed. We go out of our way to fix problems when we see them. We take ownership seriously.
- Be Candid and Kind. Be extremely caring and extremely direct in all you do at Patreon, especially when it comes to giving positive and constructive feedback.
- Be Curious. You don’t know it all, and that’s the fun part. Everything gets better when you’re curious. Things get more interesting, more clear, and more approachable. When you bring curiosity into the workplace, you’re growing yourself, your teammates, and Patreon as a whole.
- Want to Learn More About Patreon?
- Check out TechCrunch’s article about our focus on membership
- Listen to our CEO Jack and Co-Founder Sam chat with Guy Raz on NPR’s How I Built This
- Check to see if you know a Patreon teammate on LinkedIn