- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Aug. 29, 2021
As the first in-house Legal Counsel at Persona, you’ll be a strategic advisor on various matters across the organization. From the get go, you will advise on contracts and other agreements, work with the Product and Security team to add the legal perspective, and help manage risk and liability for the company.
This is an ideal role for an in-house generalist with strong leadership skills who wants to partner with other functional leaders to achieve business objectives, be thoughtful about and mitigate risks, and help build the legal function for a fast-growing company. This role requires a broad understanding of corporate, commercial, intellectual property, privacy, transactional, compliance, employment, and litigation matters and an understanding of who to go to for what expertise externally. This position will be based in our office in San Francisco.
- Develop legal strategy aligned with core business initiatives and advise company leadership on legal considerations around strategic business and product decisions
- Work with customer-facing teams to draft, review, and negotiate contracts, close deals in the most efficient manner, and educate customer-facing teams on Persona’s agreements
- Help drive legal and go-to-market contracting strategy, including setting and implementing policies on negotiation thresholds and legal and business terms, optimizing standard forms, overseeing contract management processes and systems, and developing processes for working with legal
- Advise on and provide legal support for a host of legal topics such as data privacy, IP, and fundraising scenarios
- Manage outside counsel’s delivery of legal services
- Develop policy and legal strategy related to data privacy in close collaboration with Product and Security
- Stay abreast of changes in laws and regulations impacting data privacy domestically and internationally
- Identify needs to implement and improve Persona’s policies and procedures to manage legal and business risk as the company scales quickly
- JD from an accredited institution and member of the California bar in good standing
- 6+ years practicing law, including experience at a top-tier law firm and 2+ years in-house
- Broad direct experience with a variety of legal matters, including strategic business agreements, commercial contract negotiation, information security and compliance, privacy, corporate governance, intellectual property rights
- Understanding of, and experience with, privacy and protection laws and regulations, particularly CCPA and GDPR
- Comfort with business metrics and ability to break down complex legal problems into business and legal risks (with understanding of what is practical); ability to explain legal issues to business and technology-focused partners
- Has the strategic sense and skills to build a team and function, but tactical enough to execute on a day-to-day basis
- Willingness to roll up his/her sleeves and take on tasks both big and small. A collaborative approach with low ego in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Strong sense of ownership, desire to make a cross-functional impact, eagerness to learn, customer orientation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, capable of working both in teams and independently
- Growth mindset and a sense of humor
At Persona, we strive to put diversity and inclusion at the forefront of everything we do, reflecting our core values. Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Employee Resource Group seeks to build a diverse and inclusive team that fosters an environment where each Personerd feels empowered to bring their unique differences to work and achieve their full innovative potential. Our hope is that by fostering such an environment, we strengthen our business and relationships by putting people first.
We strive to promote a culture that celebrates diversity and inclusiveness regardless of, but not limited to, race, gender, sexual orientation, family status, religion, ethnicity, national origin, physical disability, veteran status, or age.
If you'd like to better understand what it's like working at Persona, feel free to check out our reviews on Glassdoor.