- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Sep. 17, 2021
- Business Applications
What we’re building
Every business in the world has to keep track of its bookkeeping, and it’s a terrible, expensive, and slow process. There’s no Stripe, Gusto, or Google Apps of this world—no clear best-in-class bookkeeping firm that everyone uses because it delivers a service of unmatched quality and integrates with the tools and workflows to run your business as it grows.
Pilot is changing that. Our approach is to use software to automate as much of the heavy lifting as possible and giving those software superpowers to a team of accounting experts. Which means that our customers, business owners across America, can focus on the reasons they started their businesses in the first place, instead of worrying about whether their bookkeeping is being done well.
About the role
Pilot has significant traction with startups and technology companies. We deeply understand these customers and have built a product that startups know and love. However, the vision for Pilot is not to be the financial back office for startups, it’s to be the financial back office for every company. We believe the best way to do this is by expanding one vertical at a time because verticals have different buyer behavior, go-to-market motions, product needs, and willingness to pay.
We’ve seen significant traction with professional services firms, and we’re excited to double-down there. In specific, we’ve seen a lot of customer demand from marketing consultancies and design firms.
We’re excited about these folks for a few reasons:
- It’s a huge market
- They’re used to leveraging technology to solve core operating problems
- They have unique challenges in bookkeeping, taxes, and finance where they’re not well-served today
As the lead of our expansion into agency clients, you’d be a cross-functional leader tasked with driving our expansion into this vertical. In this highly dynamic role, you’ll work across Marketing, Sales, Product, and Operations to achieve significant revenue growth and customer acquisition targets. You’ll have the opportunity to flex both strategic and operational muscles, and think short- and long-term every day. The role reports to the GM of New Verticals.
- At the highest level, the objective is simple: find lots of agencies, get them to buy Pilot, and ensure that the experience is world-class. Of course, “simple” does not mean “easy,” and to do that will require some of the items below:
- Top of funnel marketing: identify scalable sources of good professional services leads, and execute campaigns to drive lead generation
- Customer acquisition: assist with the sales process throughout the funnel, including leading sales calls with prospects
- Retention and account management: support Pilot clients with industry-specific expertise
- Product and operations: be the internal champion for your vertical, identifying and articulating product and process needs to better serve our clients
- 4+ years of direct experience in operating roles at a marketing consultancy or design firm, or
- 4+ years experience in a product marketing or operations role (or similar) at a company that sells into to this vertical
- Strong “general athlete” who thrives in a dynamic, cross-functional role that requires both long-term strategic thinking and day-to-day execution
- Excellent strategic thinking chops backed by strong quantitative skill set
- Strong communication skills with the ability to distill complex issues into structured frameworks and concrete action plans
- Highly entrepreneurial and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with minimal guidance
- Ability to interface with a wide range of cross-functional partners and influence action across the organization
- Familiarity with SaaS sales cycles and teams a plus
About the team
The company is 230+ people today, and growing. We like to think of ourselves as all of the good parts of a startup, without the downsides. We’re a tight-knit team of smart, friendly people solving problems together with minimal bureaucratic overhead. But this is also the third company for this founding team, and we know how to build sustainable teams by investing in great benefits, professional development, great managers, and work/life balance.
Benefits of working at Pilot
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Holidays and flexible PTO
- Pre-tax commuter benefit
- Paid family leave