- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jun. 30, 2021
- Software Engineering
- Business Applications
What we’re building
Every company needs to keep track of its finances, and most hire a bookkeeping firm to help do so. Today, there is no clear best-in-class firm that delivers a high quality service and integrates with the tools and workflows of the businesses as they grow. Pilot is building a first-of-its-kind, software-centric solution to tackle the financial back office (including bookkeeping, tax, CFO, etc.) so that founders and business owners don’t have to.
Our approach is to use software to automate as much of the heavy lifting as possible and giving those software superpowers to a team of finance experts. This means business owners, can focus on the reasons they started their businesses in the first place, instead of worrying about whether their bookkeeping is being done well.
We are growing quickly and looking for a senior software engineer to join our Infrastructure team. The Infrastructure team’s mission is to empower the rest of EPD (Engineering, Product, and Design) with the tools they need to confidently ship, test, measure and learn from the products they develop. This team ensures that we can support Pilot’s growing business in a secure and reliable way, while keeping developer productivity high. Some of the key responsibilities of this role include:
- Create tooling to streamline operational tasks and increase developer productivity.
- Automate infrastructure provisioning and simplify engineering onboarding as we scale up hiring.
- Work with stakeholders across the company to deliver on the infrastructure team’s strategy.
- Help establish strong security practices such as identity and access management, data protection, etc.
- Contribute to the team’s short term and long term roadmaps to better serve our internal customers.
- Mentor and sponsor your teammates to help them grow.
- Support your software and services as required.
Even if you don’t have experience with the specific technologies in our stack, we’d love to talk to you! Our requirements are:
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code deployment tools, such as Terraform
- Experience with logging and analysis tools, such as Honeycomb
- Experience with CI/CD tools, such as git, CircleCI etc.
- Able to work collaboratively across functions
- Strong written, verbal, and technical communication skills
- Writes well-structured, well-tested, and maintainable code
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and teach others
- Additionally, we’re interested in engineers with specialties in the following areas: security, infrastructure, data pipelines, and FinTech.
Pilot is a high growth software startup that automates much of the heavy lifting in financial services (e.g., bookkeeping, tax, CFO services, etc.) for SMBs. Since launching in 2017, Pilot has built highly advanced engineering to automate these financial services. Our EPD (Engineering, Product, and Design) org began 2021 divided into three cross-functional teams, each with their own missions, charters, and internal stakeholders, and we are in the process of spinning up several new teams. We work collaboratively: we pair with each other (often across teams), we work on projects in groups, and we meet with our customers to inform what we build. Many of our projects start and end with detailed user research and input from Product Design.
Pilot has two offices in San Francisco and Nashville. Our Engineering team is located in San Francisco, and our SF office is located close to the Montgomery Street BART stop — though of course right now we are all working from home. Given our current setup, we will have a strong preference for candidates who live in or will relocate to California, although we are willing to talk to exceptional candidates who meet our above requirements but need to work elsewhere in the US. We offer competitive benefits, including medical, dental, and vision coverage, as well as a 401(k) program.
Pilot has raised over $120M in Series A, Series B and Series C financing from Sequoia, Index Ventures & Stripe. The company’s investors include a long-list of world-class entrepreneurs, including Patrick and John Collison, Drew Houston and Diane Greene. Pilot’s seasoned founding team has led companies through two prior successful startups and acquisitions (by Oracle and Dropbox). Pilot is headquartered in San Francisco and has a second office in Nashville. The company is scaling rapidly and has 180+ employees. At Pilot, we are enthusiastically pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws. However, we do encourage applicants of all backgrounds and identities to apply.
Pilot also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Pilot’s demonstrated commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.