- New York
- Date Posted
- Aug. 16, 2021
- Design & UI
We believe that the way people interact with their finances will drastically improve in the next few years. We’re dedicated to empowering this transformation by building the tools and experiences that thousands of developers use to create their own products. Plaid powers the tools millions of people rely on to live a healthier financial life. We work with thousands of companies like Venmo and SoFi, several of the Fortune 500, and many of the largest banks to make it easy for people to connect their financial accounts to the apps and services they want to use. Plaid’s network covers 11,000 financial institutions across the US, Canada, UK and Europe. Founded in 2013, the company is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in New York, Salt Lake City, Washington D.C., London and Amsterdam.
About our team
The design team at Plaid is made up of brand designers, product designers, systems designers, writers, program managers, and researchers who work hand in hand with our peers in marketing, product management and engineering to create Plaid’s market defining products.
What you’ll do here
You’ll be joining Threads, our brand and design system team, while working closely with brand designers, product designers, and marketers to help elevate our brand and explain key concepts through clear, beautiful illustrations. This role is the first of its kind, allowing you to have a high impact by leveling up our illustration style while affecting how millions of people experience and understand their financial data.
What excites you
- Making the world of finance and tech more accessible and inclusive through better design and visual storytelling
- Coming up with creative and unexpected ways to make complicated ideas easier to understand
- Getting to the heart of what we’re trying to communicate and the emotions we’re trying to evoke
- Applying your illustrations across different media—from print and digital advertisements to websites and mobile products
- Working side by side with brand designers, product designers, marketers, and more to come up with elegant and effective solutions
- Building on—and improving—our existing illustration style
- Applying systems thinking to illustrations and documenting those decisions in guidelines
- Building illustrations that have the potential to be brought to life through animation
- Providing feedback and mentorship to designers who are looking to help and improve their illustration skills
What excites us
- Being a team player—this role will require close collaboration with fellow designers and cross-functional partners
- Strategic, user-centric thinking—we ground our solutions in what’s best for our users
- Humility and having a growth mindset—we believe in big ambitions but not big egos, and that feedback is a critical part of good design
- Strong organization and operations skills—you should have the ability to run your own process
- At least 3 years of experience as an illustrator in an in-house or agency environment
- Fluency in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign (or similar software), as well as Sketch or Figma
- Experience with animation (AfterEffects, Principle, etc.) is a plus
- Interest in other aspects of branding (graphic design, web design, copywriting, etc.) is a plus
- Please note: we are only open to candidates in SF or NYC
Plaid is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion or religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, military or veteran status, disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Plaid is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance with your application or interviews due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.