- Washington, DC
- Date Posted
- Aug. 16, 2021
At Plaid, our mission is to unlock financial freedom for everyone. There has never been a better time than now to start building the future of fintech with us. Plaid powers the tools millions of people rely on to live a healthier financial life. We work with thousands of companies like Venmo and SoFi, several of the Fortune 500, and many of the largest banks to make it easy for people to connect their financial accounts to the apps and services they want to use. Plaid’s network covers 11,000 financial institutions across the US, Canada, UK and Europe. Founded in 2013, the company is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in New York, Salt Lake City, Washington D.C., London and Amsterdam.
The Commercial Legal team at Plaid works on all IP and contract-related matters at Plaid, including general corporate deals and go-to-market deals, as well as management of the Plaid IP portfolio. It is part of the Policy, Risk and Legal (“PRL”) team at Plaid, which works at the intersection of technology and financial services on disruptive innovations that require creative and pragmatic legal solutions. We deal with novel issues every day and work collaboratively across Plaid’s product, business, operations, risk, and policy teams, as well as with our customers and partners.
The Commercial Legal team is looking for an IP Counsel to focus on developing an IP strategy as well as managing Plaid’s growing IP portfolio. In this position, you will partner with Legal and Plaid engineering, product, sales, design, marketing, account management, & partnerships teams. We are looking for someone interested in learning about and assisting on a variety of legal matters, including matters relating to IP, data licensing, data security, privacy, patents, trademarks, and open source software.
What excites us...
- 7+ years of experience prosecuting patents, developing IP strategies, managing IP portfolios and invention disclosure processes, conducting IP due diligence in corporate and commercial transactions, and assisting with IP litigation and dispute avoidance
- Strong interest in working on cloud software sales, reseller agreements, distribution partnerships, privacy, and/or data security in addition to the IP work
- Excellent writing, oral communication, and organizational skills
- Eager to learn about new and emerging technologies and the FinTech ecosystemComfortable navigating complicated and nuanced legal issues
- JD degree required
- US Bar admission
- Must be admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- What excites you...
- Enhancing Plaid’s short-term and long-term IP strategies
- Managing a growing IP portfolio
- Assisting with IP enforcement
- Designing, building, and improving legal department processes as we scale, especially with respect to identifying and obtaining IP rights
- Drafting and negotiating IP and commercial agreements, including complex data licensing agreements, and innovative partnership deals
- Collaborating on a wide range of intellectual property, regulatory, privacy, consumer protection, and other legal issues that shape our business and the entire FinTech ecosystem
Plaid is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion or religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, military or veteran status, disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Plaid is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance with your application or interviews due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.