- Cape Town
- Date Posted
- Sep. 6, 2021
- Design & UI
Prodigy Finance is a platform that delivers socially responsible financial services, making it possible for students from more than 150 countries to fulfil their dream of studying at the world’s top universities and schools by financing their international postgraduate studies, whilst delivering competitive financial and social returns to alumni, institutional and private investors.
This borderless and innovative model enables education loan financing to students from across the globe, whilst using predicted post-degree affordability rather than present-day salary. Since 2007, Prodigy Finance has extended over US$1 billion through the platform to fund over 19,000 students.
We are funded by some of the best, pre-eminent institutions in the world including Index Ventures, Balderton Capital, RMIH, Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank
- What you will do in the role?
This role is perfect for an experienced Frontend Engineer who wants to supercharge their career by experiencing first-hand what it is like to be part of an energetic, extremely fast-growing company.
This person will own the development, improvement and expansion of our new React customer onboarding application. You will work with our UX designer and Product teams to redesign and implement industry leading, frictionless customer experiences for all stages of our customer journey.
- What are the key responsibilities of the role?
- Own the development, improvement and expansion of our new React customer onboarding application, expanding its availability to cater to all customer use cases
- Work with the team, UX designers and Product to redesign and implement industry leading, frictionless customer experiences for all stages of the customer journey, including verification, signing and disbursement
- Become an integral and trusted member of the tech team; be a team leader, coach and mentor, decision maker and handle a full caseload of hands-on coding/implementation projects
- Take a leadership and decision-making role in the technical architecture and implementation of the platform build. This includes project prioritization, evaluating technical debt, technical problem resolution and how to incrementally evolve a solution to reach a target architecture while delivering business value
- Execute a number of projects which contribute to the build of our platform. Take responsibility for coding core-feature implementation projects and Greenfield projects. Make an impactful contribution, ask great questions, and execute high quality work
- Lead, coach and mentor other team members, especially in the use of React, and facilitate information sharing among team members
- Researching and staying abreast of key technical developments and industry trends and innovations
- Completing reasonable tasks as requested within the broad parameters of the role
- Drive the UI capacity of the company forward
- What would the ideal candidate be great at?
- Technical competence; love coding, able to learn new paradigms quickly and look to continuously improve and find better ways of doing things
- Understanding the importance of code testing and testing your own code
- Keeping UI in mind when building and designing
- Ability to take a feature or product all the way from conception to release
- Teamwork and team spirit; be more motivated by the achievements of the whole team
- Getting up to the front of the bus; get stuck in, execute, generate ideas, have an impact, don’t just sit back and be a passenger
- Attention to detail – you want to make things look good!
Qualifications and experience
- At least 6 years experience in front-end web development
- At least 8 years overall development experience
- Python/Ruby (or other OOP) language experience
- Experience working in a Scrum environment
Experience integrating with backend APIs
Experience testing your own code
- Strong appreciation for UI/UX standards and a passion for developing beautiful interfaces
- Experience that would be nice to have (but we’ll trade off if everything else fits)
- Experience working with React (Dom and Native)
- Ideally you are language agnostic and eager to try out new languages as needed
- Experience working in a highly collaborative team
- Interest in web performance, accessibility, browser compatibility and ‘mobile-first development’
- Start-up experience. Sometimes the earth moves beneath your feet at Prodigy Finance, so you’ve got to be comfortable with ambiguity, able to wear lots of hats, and adapt easily as we continue to grow