- Cape Town
- Date Posted
- May. 24, 2021
- Software Engineering
- Financial Services
Prodigy Finance - who we are
Prodigy Finance is a platform that delivers socially responsible financial services; making it possible for students from more than 150 countries to fulfil their dream of studying at the world’s top universities and schools by financing their international postgraduate studies, whilst delivering competitive financial and social returns to alumni, institutional and private investors.
This borderless and innovative model enables education loan financing to students from across the globe, whilst using predicted post-degree affordability rather than present-day salary. Since 2007, Prodigy Finance has extended over US$1 billion through the platform to fund over 19,000 students.
- We are funded by some of the best, pre-eminent institutions in the world including Index Ventures, Balderton Capital, RMIH, Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank.
- What will you do in the role?
- Get to grips with the Mobile tech stack by providing team support and shadowing existing team members. Support other team members on projects and work on your own projects. Add user-value through new and improved features and work on system sustainability. Focus on internal relationships with team members with the aim of pairing regularly.
- What are some of the responsibilities of this role?
- Be an integral and trusted member of the tech team.
- Be a mentor to new team members and handle a full caseload of hands-on coding/ implementation projects.
- Execute a number of projects which contribute to the build of our mobile platform. Take responsibility for coding core-feature implementation projects and Greenfield projects. Make an impactful contribution, ask great questions, and execute high quality work.
- Classify, store and handle data in accordance with policies.
- Researching and staying abreast of key technical developments and industry trends and innovations.
- What you will be measured on
- Technical acumen; writing code for our iOS and Android applications, and some lightweight backend services using React Native, Redux, Redux-Saga, RamdaJS, NodeJS, and Jest (with some gentle sprinkles of Objective C/Swift and Java/Kotlin as required).
- Critical judgement; become a trusted and respected member of the team
- Contribution to the team; deliver the projects on time and be proactive and responsive.
- Mindfulness; become aware of how your work and your behaviour impacts the wider result and the impact, not only on the platform build, but on the whole Prodigy Finance team.
- What would the ideal candidate be great at?
- Technical competence; love coding, able to learn new paradigms quickly and look to continuously improve and find better ways of doing things.
- Excellent critical judgement; able to make good decisions, be trusted, respected and dependable, be proactive and responsive, ask the right questions, raise flags at the right time, able to prioritise and plan your own individual tasks.
- Mindfulness; be considerate of the implications of your work, really care about what you are doing and the impact of your contribution.
- Teamwork and team spirit; we are all contributing to the same platform, so you need to not only be a great individual contributor but be more motivated by the achievements of the whole team - we only win if the team wins, see the impact of your own work and positively influence and help the work of others
- Getting up to the front of the bus; get stuck in, execute, generate ideas, have an impact, don’t just sit back and be a passenger.
- Who we are looking for; track record must haves
- 3-6+ years experience in programming
- 2+ years experience in React Native mobile or React web development
- Strong appreciation for UI/UX standards and a passion for developing beautiful interfaces
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Native mobile experience, in either iOS or Android
- Experience with Continuous Integration systems for mobile applications
- Experience with the Redux unidirectional data flow pattern, Redux-Saga experience would be highly advantageous
- Functional programming
- The Prodigy Finance fit; attributes which run true in everyone at Team Prodigy
To be an “A player” at Prodigy Finance, you need to possess the following attributes:
Innovative + Smart
Be curious enough to want to know more, think out the box, maybe even break the box, show initiative and be smart about it to find implementable, impactful solutions.
International + Accountable
Push yourself to be better every day. Work with others across the world, be resilient, add value and then hold yourself accountable. Encourage and celebrate each other.
Energetic + Fun
Sense of humour = survival. Bring energy and fun. Wear your heart on your sleeve. Work hard and find the time to play. We’re in this together.