- Cape Town
- Date Posted
- Sep. 14, 2021
- Software Engineering
Prodigy Finance - who are we?
Prodigy Finance is a platform that delivers socially responsible financial services; making it possible for students from more than 150 countries to fulfil their dream of studying at the world’s top universities and schools by financing their international postgraduate studies, whilst delivering competitive financial and social returns to alumni, institutional and private investors.
This borderless and innovative model enables education loan financing to students from across the globe, whilst using predicted post-degree affordability rather than present-day salary. Since 2007, Prodigy Finance has extended over US$1 billion through the platform to fund over 20,000 students.
We are funded by some of the best, pre-eminent institutions in the world including Index Ventures, Balderton Capital, RMIH, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank and more recently DFC and CPP.
What will you do in the role?
As a mid-level software engineer, you will help extend some of our core systems and spearhead smaller projects. You will also support more senior team members on larger projects and take ownership of smaller projects ensuring accurate and timely project delivery. This role sits within the Choose domain, which focuses on the customer journey from the point where customer’s start their application with us, until their loan is disbursed.
- What are some of the roles and responsibilities of this role?
- Be an integral and trusted member of the tech team.
- Be a mentor to new team members and handle a full caseload of hands-on coding/ implementation projects.
- Execute a number of projects which contribute to the build of our platform. Take responsibility for coding core-feature implementation projects and Greenfield projects. Make an impactful contribution, ask great questions, and execute high quality work.
- Classify, store and handle data in accordance with policies.
- Take responsibility for the state of the code you both inherit and produce. Have strong technical knowledge across all parts of the tech stack.
- Maintain high test coverage and peer review colleagues’ pull requests.
- Research and stay abreast of key technical developments and industry trends and innovations.
- Complete reasonable tasks as requested within the broad parameters of the role.
- What would the ideal candidate be great at?
- Technical competence; love coding, able to learn new paradigms quickly and look to continuously improve and find better ways of doing things.
- Excellent critical judgement; able to make good decisions, be trusted, respected and dependable, be proactive and responsive, ask the right questions, raise flags at the right time, able to prioritise and plan workloads for the team.
- Mindfulness; be considerate of the implications of your work, really care about what you are doing and the impact of your contribution.
- Coaching and mentoring; teaching concepts, listening and adapting, empathy and a motivation to understand what makes others tick.
- Teamwork and team spirit; we are all contributing to the same platform, so you need to not only be a great individual contributor but be more motivated by the achievements of the whole team - we only win if the team wins, see the impact of your own work and positively influence and help the work of others.
- Getting up to the front of the bus; get stuck in, execute, generate ideas, have an impact, don’t just sit back and be a passenger.
Qualifications and experience
3+ years’ experience in programming
- 1+ years’ experience in a scripting language such as Python, Rails or PHP
- Comfortable with development of RESTful API backends
Experience with development of microservices
- Familiarity with Async Message Brokers such as RabbitMQ
- Familiarity with concepts such as MVC and have a basic understanding of web frameworks
- Demonstrable track record of working with a relational database, for example PostgreSQL
- You have experimented with open source tools, including github, Jenkins, and others
- Comfortable with cloud platforms such as AWS
- Capacity and inclination to learn and you must be passionate about building scalable systems