- Cape Town
- Date Posted
- May. 24, 2021
- Software Engineering
- Financial Services
Prodigy Finance - who are we?
Prodigy Finance is a platform that delivers socially responsible financial services; making it possible for students from more than 150 countries to fulfil their dream of studying at the world’s top universities and schools by financing their international postgraduate studies, whilst delivering competitive financial and social returns to alumni, institutional and private investors.
This borderless and innovative model enables education loan financing to students from across the globe, whilst using predicted post-degree affordability rather than present-day salary. Since 2007, Prodigy Finance has extended over $1 billion through the platform to fund over 19,000 students.
- We are funded by some of the best, pre-eminent institutions in the world including Index Ventures, Balderton Capital, RMIH, Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank.
- What will you do in the role?
- As a mid-level software engineer, you will get to grips with basic web outputs by providing team support and shadowing senior team members. Support more senior team members on projects and work on your own smaller projects. Focus on internal relationships with team members.
- What are some of the roles and responsibilities of this role?
- Be an integral and trusted member of the tech team
- Be a mentor to new team members and handle a full caseload of hands-on coding/ implementation projects
- Execute a number of projects which contribute to the build of our platform. Take responsibility for coding core-feature implementation projects and Greenfield projects. Make an impactful contribution, ask great questions, and execute high quality work
- You classify, store and handle data in accordance with policies
- You take responsibility for the state of the code you both inherit and produce. Be an expert in Ruby on Rails and have strong technical knowledge across all parts of the tech stack
- Researching and staying abreast of key technical developments and industry trends and innovations
- Completing reasonable tasks as requested within the broad parameters of the role
- What would the ideal candidate be great at?
- Technical competence; love coding, able to learn new paradigms quickly and look to continuously improve and find better ways of doing things
- Excellent critical judgement; able to make good decisions, be trusted, respected and dependable, be proactive and responsive, ask the right questions, raise flags at the right time, able to prioritize and plan your own individual tasks
- Mindfulness; be considerate of the implications of your work, really care about what you are doing and the impact of your contribution
- Teamwork and team spirit; we are all contributing to the same platform, so you need to not only be a great individual contributor but be more motivated by the achievements of the whole team - we only win if the team wins, see the impact of your own work and positively influence and help the work of others
- Getting up to the front of the bus; get stuck in, execute, generate ideas, have an impact, don’t just sit back and be a passenger
- Ideally you will have some experience of Ruby on Rails, plus 2 years general work experience as a developer. We will consider you if you have less work experience, but you need to live and breathe open source coding and possess the attributes described, with the potential to become a truly great programmer
Qualifications and experience
- 2 – 4 years’ experience in programming
- 1+ years’ experience in a scripting language such as Rails, Python or PHP, familiarity with concepts such as MVC and have a basic understanding of web frameworks
- Demonstrable track record of working with a relational database, for example PostgreSQL
- You have experimented with open source tools, including github, Jenkins, and others
- Played around with cloud platform such as AWS, Heroku or EngineYard
- Capacity and inclination to learn and you must be passionate about web development