- Cape Town
- Date Posted
- Jul. 4, 2021
- Software Engineering
Prodigy Finance is a platform that delivers socially responsible financial services; making it possible for students from more than 150 countries to fulfil their dream of studying at the world’s top universities and schools by financing their international postgraduate studies, whilst delivering competitive financial and social returns to alumni, institutional and private investors.
This borderless and innovative model enables education loan financing to students from across the globe, whilst using predicted post-degree affordability rather than present-day salary. Since 2007, Prodigy Finance has extended over US$1 billion through the platform to fund over 19,000 students.
We are funded by some of the best, pre-eminent institutions in the world including Index Ventures, Balderton Capital, RMIH, Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank
- What will you do in the role?
This role is perfect for an experienced Software Engineer, who as a Technology Team Lead will be balancing their role as a senior engineer on an Agile development team. You will help to build a product which makes a very real difference in the world. The sense of impact and reward will be huge.
Roles and responsibilities
- Lead, coach and mentor other team members, as well as perform cross-training and facilitate information sharing among team members
- Assist with development of functional designs and resolve complex design issues.
- Adopt an influential role guiding other functions on implementation, scale, learning and delivering software
- Encourage and facilitate the establishment of new software development, testing and documentation standards
- Resolve or assist with escalated software application issues as needed
- Lead and coordinate activities to develop and execute plans to mitigate occurrence and recurrence of production issues
- Implement software solutions for new features
- Similarly, lead and coordinate activities to develop and execute plans to implement new features, systems, api’s and the like
- Oversee and contribute to the documentation of production support processes
- Facilitate root cause analysis within the team to identify resolutions to software or business process issues.
- Own and champion engineering and operational excellence
- Interface with a diverse stakeholder base - business leaders, product development counterparts, engineering managers and partner technology organizations
- Represent the technology perspective for a specific team in various forums
- What would the ideal candidate be great at?
- A forward-thinking approach to dealing with current and emerging bottlenecks
- You’re always researching ways to educate the engineering team in new methods and techniques
- You value skills development. You’re a great mentor and teacher that exhibits patience and thoughtfulness in understanding the needs of others and helping them to achieve their goals. You work with your team members to understand mistakes made and how to learn from them.
- You foster a culture of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics
- Take responsibility for coding core-feature implementation projects and Greenfield projects. Make an impactful contribution, ask great questions, and execute high quality work
- Take part in the peer review of colleagues’ pull requests
- Desire and willingness to work in an agile, collaborative, innovative, flexible and team-oriented environment
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to mentor and coach fellow team members
- Capacity and inclination to learn, and you must be passionate about building scalable systems
- Display good judgement and decision-making under pressure to ensure delivery against goals
- Improvement focused; is alert to opportunities to improve ways of working in an effort to create a more effective, enjoyable and efficient work environment
- Contributes to creating a positive and collaborative team environment
Qualifications and experience
8+ years’ experience in programming
- 4+ years’ experience in a scripting language such as Python, Rails or PHP
- Demonstrable track record of working with a relational database, for example PostgreSQL
- Professional fluency in open source tools, including github, Jenkins, and others
- Comfortable with cloud platforms such as AWS
Experience with development of microservices
- Comfortable with development of RESTful API backends
- Comfortable with Async Message Brokers such as RabbitMQ
- Strong foundation on modern DevOps culture
- Experience that would be nice to have (but we’ll trade off if everything else fits)
- Experience working within an agile environment using test-driven development (TDD)
- Solid DevOps skills including monitoring, testing, automation and integration
- A track record leading a high performance team as a line manager or team lead