- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jun. 1, 2021
- Product Management
- Business Applications
Background and Opportunity
The concept of product development and project management and are rapidly changing. The definition of a product manager has evolved over the course of the past few decades - they not only define product roadmaps but also the overarching go-to-market strategy, engineering plausibility, and general business strategy of the company. It is a complex, interdisciplinary role that requires levels of collaboration between the contributors, customers, users, and partners in order for a company to launch a series of successful products.
Companies often focus on their sales-driven metrics to power their growth; however, the true driver of growth is a series of successful product launches are built through a collaboration of excellent craftsmanship. Collaboration is key to success in both managing and developing a customer-friendly product. That is exactly what Productboard had in mind when they developed their product management system.
Productboard is the leading product management system that helps product management teams to get the right products to market, faster. It is essentially a system of record for any and all products. Over 4,000 customer-driven companies like Zendesk, Disney, VMware, Avast, UiPath, and Marriott use Productboard to gather customer feedback, analyze user data, prioritize product roadmap, and collaborate with everyone else in the team with a clearly communicated goal. Their end-to-end product management system provides clear objectives for all teams and aligns colleagues around the product development vision and process. Think CRM but specifically designed for product needs of any modern organization making digital products.
Along with its intuitive, yet feature-rich platform, Productboard enables teams to easily integrate with other engineering task management tools such as JIRA, Slack, Trello, PivotalTracker, and GitHub and with systems full of valuable customer insights such as Intercom, Zendesk, CRM systems, NPS systems, and many more. With a manageable and customer-friendly user interface, it provides in-depth backlog customer feedback and information for product managers to use for product development.
Everyone deserves to work on products that will be used, enjoyed, and loved – products that matter. It’s Productboard’s mission to help product makers across the globe create exceptional products that resonate with customers deeply on both functional and emotional level. With Productboard, every team can make things that matter – together.
Role and Responsibility
The mission of the Chief Marketing Officer at Productboard is to build and scale a fully-integrated, world-class marketing organization capable of positioning Productboard as the unquestioned leader in the product excellence space - with a key focus on increasing brand visibility through product marketing, community evangelism, and core messaging - ultimately driving Productboard’s revenue.
- Oversee the development of product marketing, messaging, and storytelling for a diverse set of target customers for Productboard’s three main segments: SMB, Mid-Market, and Enterprise.
- Create a pathway to an effective category creation by shaping the story on who we are and why we matter. Leverage our unique value proposition to our customers.
- Understand the personas of the buyers and educate them about Productboard - work hand-in-hand with the sales team to penetrate new markets.
- Build a clear, powerful and recognized Productboard brand, both at the company and product levels.
- Evolve and drive the company’s brand strategy - lead integrated and strategic marketing and communications plan to advance Productboard’s brand awareness via campaigns and programs.
- Work cross-functionally to integrate our brand into the fabric of the company.
- Content generation: own creative and content marketing ranging from sales collateral to blog content and social media content.
- Manage outbound marketing efforts from advertising, AR/PR, Digital, Web, Social, and Events to drive visibility across stakeholders.
- Build a world class team. Train and develop a team, motivate people to perform at their best, and provide effective and timely feedback to achieve results.
- Be a member of the executive team that embraces the company’s culture and is a positive force multiplier of our values.
Qualifications & Personal Attributes
- A strong go-to-market executive who has owned a broad range of functions in high growth environments either as a marketing head.
- Experience in building and managing GTM motion across different market segments - demonstrated skill synthesizing competitive trends, market data, and customer insights into action plans.
- A track record of success in well-funded early stage companies is ideal.. Some experience in growth stage private companies preferred.
- Solid general business skills, including analytical and project management skills, comfortable with managing budgets and monitoring business results.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills with the ability to create, communicate and direct a team to achieve the company’s vision. Understanding and experience working across all marketing functions, from product to communications.
- Deep experience in content creation, creative marketing and driving integrated, lasting marketing campaigns.
- Experience in a leadership role encompassing branding, brand strategy, and brand management with a thorough knowledge of all aspects of marketing principles and demonstrated success and performance in an early-stage company.
- Highly disciplined and organized, both operationally and in thought process.
- A good person with high EQ. Productboard is a close-knit team and we are looking for someone to help foster and grow an awesome culture.
- An educational background that includes quality institutions.
Compensation will consist of the following elements:
- A cash package in line with a well-funded high-growth company.
- Equity. Meaningful ownership in a company that has enormous potential.
- The personal reward associated with a leadership role in a company creating a new business. This role will be one of a handful of key executives at Productboard and will play a key role in defining the company culture and running the organization.
You can look forward to the following benefits:
- Competitive compensation, stock options, company 401k
- A budget for your professional development and ongoing learning
- 4 weeks of paid vacation and paid sick days
- 1 Volunteer Day per year for you to help causes close to your heart
- Lunch delivered to your home
- Company contribution to gym and wellness memberships
- Team events, such as happy hours, off-sites, and retreats abroad
- Company contribution and access to best-in-class health benefits and your own Headspace membership
Productboard is the product management system of choice for everyone from Avast and Microsoft to rising stars like Metromile and Envoy. In early 2020, we closed our $45M Series-B round, backed by VC giants Sequoia, Kleiner Perkins, Bessemer Venture Partners, and Index Ventures. Headquartered in San Francisco, we are a truly international company, with offices in Vancouver and Prague.
- We are backed by top Silicon Valley investors, giving us access to capital, networks, mentors, and markets
- You’ll enjoy an exciting team atmosphere building a new and complex product
- We iterate quickly and decisions are fast. You’ll have a voice in what we do and see the impact of your work
- With modern offices in San Francisco, Vancouver, and Prague, you can expect occasional travel across the Atlantic!
About our culture
At Productboard, values aren’t just something we like to talk about, they’re something we live and breathe. We believe in creating a work environment where:
- People feel empowered, supported, and included
- Trust and transparency are built into the way we work
- Creativity, curiosity, and continuous improvement are encouraged and nurtured every day
You can read more about our culture and company values here, get to know your future colleagues by listening to our People of Productboard podcast, or check out our Instagram profile and People of Productboard FB page for more info about life at Productboard.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and champion of equity. It is our aim to help people from all backgrounds, cultures, and groups realize their full potential at Productboard.
As such, we do not tolerate any discrimination or harassment based upon gender identity, race, color, religion, age, sexual orientation, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law.
All aspects of employment including hiring, training, promotion, and terminations are based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We are committed to an inclusive hiring process and provide all candidates with equal opportunity to demonstrate their abilities.
Togetherness is one of our core values and our Diversity Council helps us ensure that we uphold the values of authenticity, humanity, and diversity to create an environment where every human being matters. We are committed to leading by example to drive societal change.