- Date Posted
- May. 17, 2021
- Financial Services
The legal department sits at the heart of Revolut and is a core part of the business. Members of the team provide front-line guidance and support to all areas of the company, contributing to decisions that impact on Revolut’s growth every day.
The breadth of work you will encounter (and level of commercial involvement) is pretty unique for an in-house role, from structuring credit programmes to launching into new territories. We hire both generalists (typically corporate/commercial solicitors) as well as specialists (such as compliance), alongside operations analysts, all of whom have a large degree of responsibility for Revolut’s ongoing development and growth.
About the role
- We’re looking for a Legal Counsel to sit within our Crypto team, based in our London office (though we are open to hiring from anywhere in the UK or Europe, if you would prefer to be based remotely).
- You will work on some of the most exciting and challenging crypto related issues that impact fast-growth, disruptive FinTech companies.
- You will be joining a dedicated part of the crypto team that is responsible for responding to high priority, complex and often time-sensitive challenges.
- This can include developing and executing proactive strategies for engaging with regulators globally, advising the business on cutting-edge legal issues relating to the continued roll out of some of our key crypto products and leading fast-moving cross-departmental projects within the company to help drive coordination and strategic decision-making on critical crypto products, in line with regulatory compliance and under logistical pressure.
- We look for people who apply deep logic to their thinking and back everything up with data.
- We look for natural self-starters who see things through from start to finish, and who learn from every mistake. Does this sound like you?
- Take a look at our RevInsider video about our Legal team: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy2SA75ZnwA
What you’ll be doing
- Helping us to increase and maintain the Target Addressable Market of our different crypto products and features by helping to drive Revolut’s crypto strategy from a compliance and regulatory perspective
- Owning from a legal and regulatory perspective the execution and implementation of the roll out of new products and continued maintenance of those products
- Establishing and managing a framework to drive constructive, consistent and efficient regulatory engagement across our International markets
- Mitigating risks during operations by defining, implementing and owning the risk frameworks that will rule the risk aspect of decision making for our crypto business, including tokens offered, marketing activities and product roll outs.
- Taking a lead on building relationships with new regulators as our international business continues to scale and expand and managing Revolut’s ongoing relationships with our international regulators in relation to our crypto products
- Working cross-functionally, including with stakeholders such as Operations, Compliance, Marketing, Communications, Finance, Tax, Security, Enterprise Risk Management, Data, Analytics, and Corporate Development.
- Keeping abreast of regulatory and policy developments involving crypto-assets in the UK, Europe and other key international jurisdictions
- Working with external counsel and managing them effectively where they are engaged in connection with specific crypto related projects.
What you’ll need
- Qualified solicitor in England and Wales (or the equivalent in a European jurisdiction) or a Compliance professional with approximately 8-10 years experience working in a regulated e-money / payment services or financial services institution (e.g. e-money issuer, payment service firm, broker dealer / asset manager) or in a law firm supporting such clients (ideally with some previous in-house experience)
- Previous experience advising on crypto related legal and compliance issues. A real plus if you have advised on this at a global level.
- Previous experience working in and advising on structured financial products, an added bonus if those products have been crypto related.
- Strong familiarity with EMRs, PSD2 and/or MiFID II and broader financial services regulation is required
- Experience dealing with regulators such as the Financial Conduct Authority, Prudential Regulation Authority and/or other key European or global regulators at a senior or policy level
- Ability to manage complex projects involving coordination across multiple time zones, challenging regulatory issues and tight deadlines
- Ability to work closely with other areas of the business (including senior management) to gather required information and inputs
- Exceptional stakeholder management and communication skills
- Excel at leadership while also undertaking executional work. This is a hands-on role and you’ll be expected to handle significant and complex legal matters with short turnaround times.
- Exceptional stakeholder management and communication skills
A little about us…When Revolut was founded in 2015, we had a vision to build a sustainable, digital alternative to traditional big banks. Our mission now is to help our customers improve their financial health, empower them to have more control, and promote financial cohesion across the communities in which we operate. Launching into 2020 with 10 million Personal customers and over a quarter of a million Business customers only reinforced our belief in the vast need across the world for better financial services. As our customer base has boomed in the last year, we’ve expanded our team to match that growth. We started 2019 with several hundred employees; we closed it out with 2000.
What we’re looking for…Revolut is being scaled up by people all around the world who share our vision. We’re looking for people who align with our four core values: we Never Settle, we Get It Done because we Think Deeper and we’re Stronger Together. You’re the kind of person who wants to join a community of forward-thinking people, all personally and professionally invested in Revolut’s mission. You thrive in a collaborative space where everyone’s learning from each other, and learning fast. We believe in empowering our Revoluters in their work, giving them autonomy and ownership of what they do. We want everyone at Revolut to own their story and their successes - working with us means you’re not just another cog in the machine.
- Competitive salary
- Biannual equity bonuses
- All the latest tech you need
- Roll with a free Revolut Metal subscription
- Pension plan
- Private health insurance
- Start the day properly with fresh fruit and cereals
- Stay refreshed: get juice, tea, coffee and soft drinks on tap
- Rest up with 29 days’ holiday per year
- By applying for the above role, you confirm that you have reviewed our Data Privacy Notice for Candidates.