- Menlo Park
- Date Posted
- Aug. 10, 2021
Join a leading fintech company that’s democratizing finance for all.
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers, removing fees, and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
Just as we focus on our customers, we also strive to create an inclusive environment where our employees can thrive and do impactful work. We are proud of the world class products and company culture we continue to build and have been recognized as:
- A Great Place to Work
- A CNBC Disruptor 50 in 2019 and 2020
- A LinkedIn Top Startup in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020
- Robinhood is backed by leading investors that include DST Global, Index Ventures, NEA, Ribbit Capital, Thrive Capital, and Sequoia.
About the role:
We are looking for an experienced and innovative attorney to lead our commercial contracting legal team. This role will partner with senior executives throughout the company to help drive procurement and commercial strategy and advise transactional matters and negotiate agreements with business partners. This role reports to our VP & Deputy General Counsel of Corporate and is based in our Menlo Park, CA Headquarters. This position will be instrumental in protecting and building trust in the Robinhood brand and enabling Robinhood to carry out its mission to democratize finance for all.
What you’ll do day-to-day:
- Leading a team of attorneys focused on supporting the enterprise’s commercial contracting needs in close collaboration with cross functional partners
- Building, mentoring and developing a team of lawyers. Prioritize the team’s workload, set goals, with realistic as well as ambitious deadlines to help them navigate our fluctuating and ambiguous business environment
- Working cross-functionally with attorneys from other legal teams such as privacy, regulatory, corporate, product, and litigation
- Advising business clients from every team on relevant legal contexts, issues and risks, complex agreement structures, approval processes, and company policies and procedures
- Identifying and evaluating business and legal risks in transactions, and finding creative ways to mitigate them while achieving business goals
- Creating and improving agreement templates, trainings, processes, and other resources and ensuring contract terms and conditions are consistent with internal policies and goals
- Developing and driving comprehensive, long-term legal strategies that balance risk and business objectives, creating efficiencies in the vendor onboarding, management and procurement processes
- Designing, Implementing, launching and operating an enterprise wide contract management system that optimizes contracting and ancillary processes such as security and privacy approvals, finance and accounting requirements, vendor management and risk mitigation strategies while serving multiple lines-of-business
- Contributing to the improvement of the Legal department and help to provide best in class legal services to the company
- J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school (or foreign equivalent)
- Membership in at least 1 U.S. State Bar, with good standing
- 10+ years of legal practice, including extensive commercial and transaction counseling experience
- Experience building and leading diverse teams
- Extraordinary interpersonal and communication skills; phenomenal ability to communicate information effectively internally and externally, including to non-legal audiences, and to drive cross-functional alignment and action
- Execution oriented mindset with the humility, drive, and scrappiness to get things done
- Experience with technology companies and/or startup organizations
- Deep background in the financial services, fintech or payments industry
- Technical education or background
We’re looking for more growth-minded and collaborative people to be a part of our journey in democratizing finance for all. If you’re ready to give 100% in helping us achieve our mission—we’d love to have you apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we’re looking for people invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Robinhood’s benefits include generous time off, 401(k) participation with employer match, comprehensive health coverage, a health savings account (HSA), wellness benefits, backup childcare and education stipends (all benefits are subject to applicable taxes and based on eligibility).