- Washington, DC
- Menlo Park
- Date Posted
- May. 25, 2021
- Financial Services
Join a leading fintech company that’s democratizing finance for all.
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers, removing fees, and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
Just as we focus on our customers, we also strive to create an inclusive environment where our employees can thrive and do impactful work. We are proud of the world class products and company culture we continue to build and have been recognized as:
- A Great Place to Work
- A CNBC Disruptor 50 in 2019 and 2020
- A LinkedIn Top Startup in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020
- Robinhood is backed by leading investors that include DST Global, Index Ventures, NEA, Ribbit Capital, Thrive Capital, and Sequoia.
- Check out life at Robinhood on The Muse!
About the role
Robinhood’s legal team is looking for an attorney to provide day-to-day legal advice on anti-money laundering, economic sanctions, fraud, and cybersecurity regulations as they pertain to financial crimes. We are looking for a highly adaptable and collaborative person who can handle ambiguity and rapidly shifting priorities with flexibility and patience. This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing company and contribute to our mission to democratize finance for all.
Your day-to-day will involve:
- Developing and supporting the Company’s AML, Economic Sanctions, Fraud, and Cybersecurity programs and associated activities in the U.S. and globally.
- Interpreting and advising on Bank Secrecy Act/USA PATRIOT Act and global AML regulations, OFAC and global economic sanctions, and other financial crime-related regulations;
- Assist in the design and implementation of company-wide compliance programs and initiatives, including compliance policies, processes and training;
- Creating and managing associated regulatory submissions and filings and reporting on regulatory requirements internally and in public filings;
- Evaluating business proposals for financial crimes regulatory compliance;
- Counsel and advise on activities relating to U.S. and international sanctions regimes;
- Undertake special projects and support other compliance program initiatives as assigned
- J.D. degree (or foreign equivalent) and membership in at least 1 U.S. state bar
- 5+ years of legal practice experience, with at least 3 years specializing in AML, economic sanctions, fraud, and other financial crimes regulatory compliance.
- Experience as AML regulatory counsel in trade association, corporate, government or law firm environment
- In-house legal experience
- Experience with financial services and/or financial technology companies
- Experience in payments industry, banking or financial services sector, with experience with the emerging and mobile payment technology landscape a plus
- Ability to provide practical, strategic and business-oriented legal advice
- Ability to effectively represent the Company before a variety of governmental bodies at state and federal levels
- Ability to build strong working relationships with internal clients at all levels of management and work within cross-functional teams to develop solutions to complex legal/business issues
- Ability to effectively manage multiple time sensitive tasks
We’re looking for more growth-minded and collaborative people to be a part of our journey in democratizing finance for all. If you’re ready to give 100% in helping us achieve our mission—we’d love to have you apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we’re looking for people invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Robinhood’s benefits include generous time off, 401(k) participation with employer match, comprehensive health coverage, a health savings account (HSA), wellness benefits, backup childcare and education stipends (all benefits are subject to applicable taxes and based on eligibility).