- Date Posted
- Jan. 10, 2022
- Software Engineering
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
Just as we focus on our customers, we also strive to create an inclusive environment where our employees can thrive and do impactful work. We are proud of the competitive products and company culture we continue to build and have been recognized as:
Glassdoor Best Places to Work 2020
- TIME100 Most Influential Companies 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces in Financial Services & Insurance™ 2021 and Fortune Best Workplaces for Millennials™ 2021
We’re growing and looking for...
We continue to hire Robinhoodies at a rapid pace to drive this journey, and with that growth comes necessary change. We’re seeking culture builders and curious thinkers looking to co-author the next chapters of our story. We’re in build mode, majorly expanding our team while also growing up as a company. Joining now means helping shape our structures and systems, then taking part as we launch into our ambitious future.
Check out life at Robinhood on The Muse!
About the role:
Robinhood is looking for an Engineering Manager within our Storage Organization. At Robinhood, the data our customers entrust with us is equivalent to their financial assets and life savings and it’s our responsibility to ensure it is available and safe at all times. On top of that, we aim to make it easy to set up and use reliable and proven storage systems. We don’t lose our users’ data...ever.
You will own the technical roadmap for scaling Robinhood’s PostgreSQL, Cache, and Key-Value Storage Platforms to support 100 million users and beyond. Accomplish this by designing best-in-class storage solutions that can process the high-volume transactional workloads which carry the financial goals of our customers.
The level of impact and ownership you’ll have in this role can be conveyed by simply stating: Without your leadership, Robinhood will not succeed in fulfilling our mission to Democratize Finance For All.
You welcome unique challenges and are more concerned with finding the right solutions that will last than you are looking for a quick fix. You are enamored with relational databases and have worked extensively with PostgreSQL or MySQL at scale. You recognize that no solution can last forever. You are eager to disrupt traditional financial services and democratize finance for everyone.
Your day-to-day will involve:
- You’ll develop inclusive teams in which people are empowered to do the best work of their careers.
- You’ll mentor and grow engineers while keeping them engaged and focused on the product and company vision.
- You’ll enhance the quality of Robinhood’s products and engineering by refining metrics and establishing processes for improvement
- You’ll implement effective engineering processes and policies that emphasize quality and forward progress.
- You’ll help set and fulfill the engineering hiring plan for the team, including sourcing, screening, and interviewing.
- You have experience serving in an engineering management role for an infrastructure or a platform team.
- You are curious and passionate about cloud infrastructure. This role requires you to be a champion of infrastructure efficiency - that can only come with interest and excitement!
- You are very organized. With many people doing many things in a fast-moving company, strong organizational skills—both for yourself and for the team—will be required.
- You possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- You are able to weigh several and often conflicting constraints and make rapid choices in a fast-moving and quickly-growing company.
- You love helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between constructive feedback and career growth.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- Open source contributions to PostgreSQL or MySQL
- Prior experience scaling databases at high growth startups
- Experience with a wide variety of database technologies
- Experience designing and managing other distributed systems at scale (pub-sub, workflow, orchestration)
We’re looking for more growth-minded and collaborative people to be a part of our journey in democratizing finance for all. If you’re ready to give 100% in helping us achieve our mission—we’d love to have you apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we’re looking for people invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.