- Menlo Park
- Date Posted
- May. 18, 2021
- Software Engineering
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers, removing fees, and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
Just as we focus on our customers, we also strive to create an inclusive environment where our employees can thrive and do impactful work. We are proud of the world class products and company culture we continue to build and have been recognized as:
A Great Place to Work
- A CNBC Disruptor 50 in 2019 and 2020
- A LinkedIn Top Startup in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020
- Robinhood is backed by leading investors that include DST Global, Index Ventures, NEA, Ribbit Capital, Thrive Capital, and Sequoia.
- Check out life at Robinhood on The Muse!
About the team:
As a Senior Software Engineer on our crypto engineering team, you will be leading, building and owning backend services and infrastructure that power our core crypto products. You will also gain a unique look into how the US financial systems works on the inside and strengthen your financial-domain knowledge. We strive for a high standard of engineering quality while solving unique scalability challenges. You will have high impact roles at a relatively small company for our user base.
To ensure success in this role, you should possess extensive knowledge of blockchain paradigms, know the fundamentals of cryptography, and have experience in building engineering systems that interact with the blockchain. An outstanding engineer will be able to build stable, secure systems around decentralized finance, and have the ability to translate dense technical topics to those less versed with blockchain applications.
What you’ll do day-to-day:
- Design large scale systems within a team, making the right tradeoffs for risk and long-term maintainability.
- Lead, build, test, and release product-facing features with stringent correctness and scalability requirements.
- Collaborate with our frontend team to fine tune our REST API and with our data team to support millions of customers.
- Working closely with Product and Crypto Operations to drive the vision for the future of Robinhood Crypto.
- Collaborating with the Cryptography Services team to ensure wallet paradigms are compatible with product strategy.
- Participating in the blockchain community, through open source projects, conference presentations, or similar mechanisms.
- 5+ years of software engineering experience.
- 2+ years experience working with blockchains and related systems.
- Knowledge of cryptography, blockchain protocols, best practices in blockchain management and data protection.
- Familiarity with writing highly concurrent systems and good intuition for REST API design.
- A proven tech lead with experience planning and leading large projects with long-term impact on a single system or team.
- Strong technical grasp and have excellent judgement on task prioritizations.
- Ability to solve complex engineering problems that deliver results aligned with team objectives.
- Experience with Solidity.
- Experience writing low latency, large scale distributed systems.
- Past experience securing digital assets.
- Previous work in a high security and/or highly regulated industry.
Technologies we use:
- Python/Django, Go as the main languages and frameworks of choice.
- PostgreSQL as our primary data store, Redis and Memcached as our caching layer.
- Kafka and Celery as our task queue.
- Deployed using Kubernetes in AWS Cloud.
We’re looking for more growth-minded and collaborative people to be a part of our journey in democratizing finance for all. If you’re ready to give 100% in helping us achieve our mission—we’d love to have you apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we’re looking for people invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.