- New York
- Date Posted
- May. 18, 2021
- Software Engineering
- Financial Services
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers, removing fees, and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
Just as we focus on our customers, we also strive to create an inclusive environment where our employees can thrive and do impactful work. We are proud of the world class products and company culture we continue to build and have been recognized as:
A Great Place to Work
- A CNBC Disruptor 50 in 2019 and 2020
- A LinkedIn Top Startup in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020
- Robinhood is backed by leading investors that include DST Global, Index Ventures, NEA, Ribbit Capital, Thrive Capital, and Sequoia.
- Check out life at Robinhood on The Muse!
About the role
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be building and owning backend services and infrastructure that power our core financial products. You will also gain a unique look into how the US financial systems works on the inside and strengthen your financial-domain knowledge. We strive for a high standard of engineering quality while solving unique scalability challenges. You will have high impact roles at a relatively small company for our customer base.
About the team
Our mission is to continue raising the quality bar for Robinhood’s apps and set the bar for the entire financial industry. We focus on the core brokerage activities that support how our customers participate in the markets as well as own the end to end customer journey through Robinhood. Lastly, we continue to work toward expanding our products to help us serve customers at different stages of their financial journey.
Your day-to-day will involve:
- Design large scalable systems within a team; making the right tradeoffs for risk and long-term maintainability.
- Lead, build, test, and release product-facing features with stringent correctness and scalability requirements; these features could be related to market data, trading, accounting, authentication, or security.
- Proactively identify and drive optimizations and improvements to the product.
- Collaborate with our frontend team to fine tune our REST API and with our data team to support millions of customers.
- Contribute to open source projects.
- 5+ years of software engineering experience.
- You are self-sufficient in contributing to the team’s engineering efforts.
- You are a proven tech lead with experience planning and leading large projects with long-term impact on a single system or team.
- You have a strong technical grasp and have excellent judgement on task prioritizations.
- You are able to solve complex engineering problems that deliver results which help the team to achieve its objectives.
- You have a history of creating and applying new processes and tooling to increase engineering efficiency.
- You have a solid understanding of relational databases and transactions.
- You are familiar with writing highly concurrent systems.
- You have good intuition for REST API design.
Technologies we use:
- Python/Django, Go as the main languages and frameworks of choice.
- PostgreSQL as our primary data store.
- Redis and Memcached as our caching layer.
- Celery as our task queue using RabbitMQ.
We’re looking for more growth-minded and collaborative people to be a part of our journey in democratizing finance for all. If you’re ready to give 100% in helping us achieve our mission—we’d love to have you apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we’re looking for people invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.