- New York
- Menlo Park
- Date Posted
- Oct. 24, 2021
- Software Engineering
Join a leading fintech company that’s democratizing finance for all.
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers, removing fees, and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
Just as we focus on our customers, we also strive to create an inclusive environment where our employees can thrive and do impactful work. We are proud of the world class products and company culture we continue to build and have been recognized as:
- A Great Place to Work
- A CNBC Disruptor 50 in 2019 and 2020
- A LinkedIn Top Startup in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020
- Robinhood is backed by leading investors that include DST Global, Index Ventures, NEA, Ribbit Capital, Thrive Capital, and Sequoia.
- Check out life at Robinhood on The Muse!
About the team:
Software Platform’s mission is to accelerate developer velocity and increase system stability by building the foundational software platforms and tools that power the rest of Robinhood engineering.
As Robinhood’s core infrastructure team, we are the stewards of the most critical infrastructure systems, trailblazers in bringing new technical capabilities to Robinhood, and builders who seek to make best practices the easiest to follow.
This mission is ambitious, as we are seeking to build platforms that bridge the gap between sophisticated, powerful infrastructure and a simple developer experience.
What you’ll do day-to-day:
To enable Robinhood product teams to innovate and drive forward financial products for all, Software Platform must plan and execute on a technical roadmap that will enable it to handle 10X the current volume in a near-real-time fashion, as Robinhood leads financial systems to same-day or near-real-time settlement and 24/7 trading. That work must be done in parallel with running, improving, and scaling existing infrastructure systems, enabling product teams to build new products now and in the future.
Infrastructure Software Platform is responsible for the core services which underpin RobinHood products. Our core storage, messaging, compute, observability, as well as other fundamental services are all part of Software Platform’s responsibility.
Infrastructure Software Platform Lead will be responsible for:
- Creating and driving the area’s technical strategy and roadmap based on broad and deep understanding of Robinhood’s business domains.
- Making strategic technology choices.
- Setting technical standards.
- Guiding implementation and maintenance of services in the area.
- Continuously improving reliability, scalability, and correctness of all services within the area.
- Continuously improving operational excellence, efficiency, and sustainability of all production services in the area.
- Mentoring senior and staff engineers and up-leveling the engineering organization.
- Making hard tradeoffs about taking on or paying down technical debt while making forward progress on new products and features.
- Collaborating with other Area Tech Leads across Robinhood, to ensure that Robinhood’s overall technical direction is coherent, effective, and efficient while balancing that against the needs of the risk engineering teams driven by unique challenges in this area.
- Partnering with the recruiting team to hire Staff+ engineers for Robinhood.
- 10+ years of software engineering experience.
- 3+ years technically leading large engineering organizations with multiple teams.
- Strong technical judgment and expertise with a focus on reliability, scalability, and correctness.
- Exceptional communication, leadership, and influence skills.
- Strong partnership and cross-functional collaboration skills.
- Ability to quickly learn complicated business domains in a highly regulated space.
- Experience with teams that work in a highly-collaborative fashion and focus on optimizing for customer value.
- Experience with building engineering systems that can manage risk in real time.
Technologies we use:
- Python/Django, Go as the main languages and frameworks of choice.
- Container and container orchestration technologies (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes)
- Microservice-oriented architectures and related OSS technologies (e.g. Kafka, Celery/RabbitMQ, nginx, Redis, Postgres, Airflow, Consul, etc)
- Cloud-native infrastructure (AWS, GCP)
- Intimate familiarity of Python/Django or Go
- Experience with high-growth startups
- Willingness to learn and use new technologies.
- Contribute to open source projects.
- Experience working on Kubernetes and AWS.
We’re looking for more growth-minded and collaborative people to be a part of our journey in democratizing finance for all. If you’re ready to give 100% in helping us achieve our mission—we’d love to have you apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we’re looking for people invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Robinhood’s benefits include generous time off, 401(k) participation with employer match, comprehensive health coverage, a health savings account (HSA), wellness benefits, backup childcare and education stipends (all benefits are subject to applicable taxes and based on eligibility).